cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HX Data Platform Installer Error

proudeagle622
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to Hyperflex and trying to build a 3-Node Edge Cluster with HX 220c M5 servers. 

- Nexus 9k in place of Fiber Connects

- Jumbo Frames are enabled

- There are 4 VLANs created on switch as recommended, with coordinating IP structure

- ESXi 6.7 U3 installed

- HX Installer 4.5(2b) is being used and all software updated as recommended in build guide

- DNS and NTP are installed on server outside of the cluster and operating correctly

- Can SSH into ESXi servers and left the default Cisco password

- Configured ESXi with IPv4 IP/ DNS Server/ Server name/ VLAN/ vNIC

- Configured CIMC IP

- No vCenter installed yet as it will be nested after install

- HX Data Platform installer passed "Deploy Validation"

During Deploy get the error: "Configuring CIMC server failed in Task: 'Verify Configure Server Profile Association.' with Error: 'Unknown error occurred'"

Also, after completing the Installer prompts, the JSON looks like it is missing a large amount of data but was not asked for in the GUI (ie. 2 additional VLANS)

Have tried to search for solutions but no luck so hopefully someone here can help.

1 Reply 1

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi @proudeagle622 ,

There are a couple of possibilities here

First of all, when you ran the installer, did you choose to do a HyperFlex Edge install?

image.png

That error that refers to a "Server Profile Association" sounds very much like you've tried to deploy a Standard cluster

image.png

But there are a couple of other possibilities.

The trickiest one (and one I have struck in the field) is to validate that the BIOS is set up for dedicated local CIMC access rather than "single-cable" access. But IF you were able to assign an IP address to the CIMCs, then you can rest assured it is set up correctly. (See below for more detail)

So that then leads to the other possible checks

• Did you assign IP addresses to the CIMCs (As described in the guide)?
  • Did you cable the CIMC interfaces on each of the servers to a management switch?
  • Does the installer have access to the IPs assigned to the CIMCs?

Configuring the BIOS for CIMC standalone mode

If you were NOT able to assign an IP address, then the CIMC needs to be set into standalone mode. The reference given in the documentation link above is TOTALLY USELESS - instead you'll need to access the BIOS set up as the server is booting (i.e. you'll need to plug in a monitor and keyboard and hit F8 and look for the NIC mode)

You'll get 3 choices

Dedicated [x]

Shared LOM[ ]

Cisco Card [ ]

Make sure it is in Dedicated mode

Note: If you need a username password to access the CIMC settings, the default username/password combo is admin/password

I also found this blog which may be useful if you tire of trying to find this information in any of the hundreds of Cisco Docs that google might direct you to.

I hope this helps.

Don't forget to mark answers as correct if it solves your problem. This helps others find the correct answer if they search for the same problem.

RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card