cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Hyper-V on UCS

thomaspacyk
Level 1
Level 1

I'm curious if anyone has a guide or documentation on best practices for configuring a Hyper-V host and cluster on UCS. I see the Exchange/Hyper-V/UCS guide, but it really skips over my core question of how this is accomplished with only 2 vNICs. A Hyper-V host typically has dedicated NICs for Host management, VMs, iSCSI, and Live Migration and unlike in VMware I can't just use VLAN tagging for each of these items. Any suggestions or ideas on how people are typically doing Hyper-V on UCS (if they are at all?)

2 Replies 2

Manish Tandon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tom

Hyper-V is fully supported on UCS and a lot of customer are using it. You can create the relevant vNIC allowing various VLANs as part of the SP for the Hyper-V host.

Infact with UCSM version 1.4 you can set the vNIC (which is typically trunked with various VLANs) to the hyper-v host Fabric Failover enabled (if you are using the M81KR or the M71KRs).

This requires no teaming configuration on the host as mutliple adapters cannot be assigned to the same hyper-v soft switch unlike the ESX vSwitch.

Not sure what you mean by VM's and other port-groups like need a dedicated vNIC and that they cannot tag.

If you look at the attached screenshot, for a VM you can specify what VLAN to tag. So it is a concept similar to the ESX vswitch and you don't need a

dedicated vNIC for every VLAN.

Thanks

--Manish

dear sir

Good to know that Hyper-V is fully supported on UCS. One of our customer where we sold UCS is facing a issue, his server are getting crashed when he is trying to open HyperV instance. Please help me with probable reasons for the same

regards

raghavendra

raghav@22by7.in

+91-9538666288

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card