Views
Helpful
Replies

[Hyperflex] Compute node expansion with ESXi already installed

Scoundrel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

this is my first post here. Always used the forum for great source of info and insight. 
I'm thinking about an HX cluster expansion. A mixed cluster is already in place, and it will be expanded with another only compute node (exactly same HW of the existing). Can the server be staged with the correct custom ESXi version through the CIMC in lab prior to the first discovery and service profile association from the FI/UCSManager in production (and so prior to begin the effective expansion procedure)?

CIMC will be reset at defaults after the hypervisor installation.

Thanks for who can answer me.

4 Replies 4

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I've seen edge nodes pre-staged like that, which are in stand-alone mode, so I don't see why that wouldn't work.

By custom esxi version, I'm assuming you mean HX customized version...

Kirk...

Hi Kirk, 

thank you for your reply. Yes, by custom esxi version i mean the right HX customised version from Cisco.

My doubt is that for regular HX Cluster (not edges) there's UCSM and servers are not in stand alone mode. I only wonder if staging the hypervisor previous to the UCSM first discovery and service template association could be a problem that I need to face (regardless of whether it is hyperflex product).

Maybe it's only on extra-thought... CIMC was reset at their default before shipping so....

We use the same HX ISO image for edge and UCSM.  The installer, is what comes back through and creates all your VMNICS, vswitches, VMK ports, etc.

Don't think it will be an issue.

Kirk...

Hi Kirk,

thanks again for the help. We are going to do the expansion in few days... I only remain in dubt for the UCSM first discovery and service profile association with the hypervisor already booting on the server... I'm with you that ESXi is the same and the preparation of this should not be a problem.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card