Views
Helpful
Replies

Identifying Faulty disks in VMware vSAN

edgardo.silva
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Just recently I have had a faulty disk on a vSAN (7.0) and I was not able to pinpoint the faulty disk with the C-Series Disk. I follow this VMware KB https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2149067 and https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMTN-Documents/Identifying-Faulty-disks-in-VMware-vSAN-6-2/ta-p/2794235 but the last one is for DELL servers so it does not apply for UCS.

Also I tried to Enable the Locator LED on the disk from VMware but I was not able to see the LED on from the UCSM 4.1(2a). With the assistance of the DC guys we found the faulty disk. So I was wondering if there is other ways to identify the faulty disk without bothering the DC guys. 

Thanks,

Ed

2 Replies 2

Steven Tardy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The problem is the hardware / disk / disk controller / UCSM doesn't know when the software / HCI has determined a disk to be "failed".

You should be able to enable a locator/fault LED on the disk from the HCI software.

Also if the HCI software talks directly to the hardware to trigger the LED, then UCSM may be out of sync with the status of the LED.

Did the HCI software show the SN of the failed disk?

Could verify the SN with the SN which UCSM shows.

I guess worst case if the HCI software shows the SNs of the working disks, then you could use (the painful) process of elimination.

Thanks Steven for your reply. As I mentioned before I was able to enable the locator LED from VMware but UCSM does not realize that the Locator LED is on so it does not help to pinpoint the faulty disk. I guess it is out of sync with the C-Series.

Regarding your question, Did the HCI software show the SN of the failed disk? No, it would be easy if that was the case but no luck with that. There is not any correlation between the Cisco disk SN and the VMware disk configuration.

Do you know if there is any information on UCS Tech-support to map the adapter Target (vmhba1:C0:T18:L0) with the disk location on the server? End of the day UCS Servers present those disks to the HCI so it should have that information.

naa.58ce38ee20177d15 : Local TOSHIBA Disk (naa.58ce38ee20177d15)
vmhba1:C0:T18:L0 LUN:0 state:active sas Adapter: 570708bff88ce7d0 Target: 58ce38ee20177d16

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card