Views
Helpful
Replies

Intersight | IPMI Over LAN Policy

Weiwen_17
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I am currently deploying UCSX210 Servers on Intersight, and came across to IPMI Over LAN policy for server profile.

Definition from Cisco guide is IPMI lets a server operating system obtain information about system health and
control system hardware.

I would like to how IPMI is used on Intersight managed mode servers? And how can I access IPMI sessions or messages on Intersight?

Thank you

Best regards

Weiwen

1 Reply 1

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Enabling an IPMI policy, whether it be on traditional UCSM managed blades, standalone CIMC,  or IMM based ones, accomplishes the same thing: allows/enables CIMC response to IPMI over LAN, establishes IPMI username/PW, etc.

Example of IPMI use:  RedHat & Oracle 'Fencing' using IPMI to shutdown or restart a host.

https://intersight.com/help/saas/resources/cisco_intersight_managed_mode_configuration#supported_ucs_server_policies

Creating an IPMI Over LAN Policy

"The IPMI over LAN policy defines the protocols for interfacing with a service processor that is embedded in a server platform. The Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI) enables an operating system to obtain information about the system health and control system hardware and directs the Cisco IMC to perform required actions. You can create an IPMI Over LAN policy to manage the IPMI messages through Cisco Intersight."

Kirk...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card