Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving old server to new system will not deploy with new SP

jn242
Level 1
Level 1

Im a bit at a loss.

I have and older ucs system with b200 m5 blades. 

I am reusing those blades in a whole new environment due to hardware refresh. 

The new environment is managed via IMM only and there is no UCSM.

When i go to deploy my newly created SP from my template it fails on storage. 

I have my storage policy set to create a RAID1. Originally i set it to "expand" via the policy thinking that would allow it to use the full drive but that failed. 

Error: Inadequate disk space for expand to available enabled virtual drive 'SSD-R1-VD' in drive group 'SSD-RAID1

I then reconfigured the storage policy based on the physical disk size using the full disk size. That failed. 

Error: Inadequate disk space for all the configured virtual drives in the Drive Group 'SSD-RAID1' in Storage Policy 'Storage-Policy-M5-B200-01'

I then reconfigured the storage policy drive size to be just a tad smaller than that thinking maybe it couldn't use the published drive size in full. Same error. 

I'm not sure what the deal is but have a hunch that its seeing the old VD from the previous environment. 

Is it recommended to remove any configured virtual drives (delete) via the servers inventory storage tab? I have not tried that yet.   I would think maybe  scrub policy but i dont see anywhere to create a scrub policy in IMM for servers or how i would apply it if i did get one created. 

Hours and hours later all im trying to do is setup a simple RAID1 on 2 drives so i can use these older blades but no luck. I have a TAC case open but no response so i thought i would try here.  

Can anyone help/advise?

1 Reply 1

If you don’t need the contents of the old VD, there is no harm in deleting the VD. However from my understanding, the disk scrub policy would delete the contents of the VD, not the VD itself (I don’t have a lot experience with scrub policies, since we mostly boot from SAN).

Do you still have the old UCSM environment running? If I were in your situation, I would use the Cisco Intersight Managed Mode Transition Tool to transition the service profile from the UCSM to the IMM environment. That should recreate the old SP and all the policies that you need to be able to associate the blade with the old SP in IMM with known good values. You can then compare its policies with the new SP that is not working.

We have decided to build our UCS-X based domains on UMM (UCS Managed Mode) and use the IMMTT to transition them to IMM. We get the same values/settings in profiles, policies and pools that we have been running for years. I am unfortunately not much help in configuring storage policies in IMM from scratch, and troubleshooting them. I would assume that logically UMM and IMM would be very similar, except for the small number of missing features (we have come across host firmware package, vNIC redundancy pair) or not yet implemented features (disk scrub policy - see Cisco Bug: CSCwc22858 - Scrub Policy in IMM) in IMM.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card