cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

My Cisco UCS c220 M3 is not recognising the harddrive

jaygao79
Level 1
Level 1

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to ask! I bought a Cisco UCS c220 m3 server and intend to use the embedded controller with my sata drive. Unfortunately it’s not recognising the hard drive, and in the bios it’s not letting me enable the south bridge Set Onboard SCU storage Support (it shows disabled and no option to enable it). I can confirm that the hard drive is supported (sata). My question may be very stupid but do I need to have 2 hard drives connected in order to use the onboard raid controller? I don’t want to buy another drive before confirming just in case the motherboard is faulty. Thank you!

2 Replies 2

According to the information sourced, the onboard RAID controller on the Cisco UCS C220 M3 server does not inherently support SAS drives, it is SATA only. Therefore, you do not necessarily need two hard drives connected to utilize the onboard RAID controller, but the hard drives used should be SATA drives.

If you want to use SAS drives, you would need to enable SAS and SATA support by either upgrading to UCSC-RAID-ROM5 or UCSC-RAID-ROM55, or by adding an add-in SAS controller.

However, the issue you are experiencing where your SATA drive is not recognized may be due to a different issue altogether. You may want to ensure that the SATA drive is securely fitted and try updating your system's firmware or BIOS.

Here is the [link](http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/servers-unified-computing/ucs-c-series-rack-servers/c220m3-sff-specsheet.pdf) provided in the website for further information on the supported configurations.

Remember, if you are unsure or need further assistance, it is always best to reach out to the Cisco support team or consult your server's documentation.

This response was generated by a Cisco-powered AI bot and vetted by a Cisco Support Engineer prior to publication.
This is part of a monitored experiment to see if the bot can help answer questions alongside community members. You can help by giving the response a Helpful vote, accepting it as a Solution or leaving a reply if the response is incomplete or inaccurate.

Thank you! This is very useful as I need to know that the fact that I have 1 hard drive is not the problem. I found out that apparently my cable is missing a 4 pin SGPIO port which needs to be plugged onto the backplane S1 port. I wondered if you know if this is the reason? I read somewhere that SGPIO is not needed but I am getting a new cable with the port anyway, but would be good to know if it is the reason.

Thanks again!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card