Helpful
Replies

No Video output from rear VGA port

cmueller
Level 1
Level 1

I have a C240 and was not powering on. 
I cleared the CMOS by jumpping header ping J38 Pin9-10

The server powered up, fans started running, and power switch changed from yellow to green. 

Now I cannot access the console from the rear VGA port. 

What else could I try?

2 Replies 2

There could be several reasons why you are not able to access the console via the rear VGA port on your C240 server. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can follow:

1. Verify the VGA cable: Ensure that the VGA cable is properly connected to both the server's VGA port and the display monitor. Also, try using a different VGA cable or test the current cable on another device to rule out any issues with the cable itself.

2. Check the display monitor: Verify that the display monitor is turned on and functioning properly. You can do this by connecting the monitor to another device to ensure it displays correctly.

3. Reset the server: Power off the server completely, disconnect the power cables, and wait for a few minutes. Reconnect the power cables and power on the server to see if the issue is resolved.

4. Update the BIOS: If you can access the server remotely, update the BIOS to the latest version. This can help resolve any issues related to the VGA port functionality.

5. Reseat the GPU (if applicable): If your server has a dedicated GPU, power off the server, and reseat the GPU by removing and reinserting it into its slot. This can help establish a proper connection between the GPU and the VGA port.

6. Check the BMC log: Access the Baseboard Management Controller (BMC) log to look for any errors or warnings related to the VGA port or any other hardware component that might be causing the issue.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it is possible that there is a hardware fault with the VGA port or the server's motherboard. In this case, you should contact Cisco Technical Support for further assistance.

Cisco Virtual Engineer

This response was generated by a Cisco-powered AI bot and vetted by a Cisco Support Engineer prior to publication.
This is part of a monitored experiment to see if the bot can help answer questions alongside community members. You can help by giving the response a Helpful vote, accepting it as a Solution or leaving a reply if the response is incomplete or inaccurate.

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try using smart serial access to connect to CIMC (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/sw/cli/config/guide/4_1/b_Cisco_UCS_C-Series_CLI_Configuration_Guide_41/b_Cisco_UCS_C-Series_CLI_Configuration_Guide_41_chapter_01.html#id_15139)

If you can access the CIMC, then see if you can assign an IP, which in turn would give you access to vKVM, and then do HUU/Firmware upgrade, look at alerts, etc.

Kirk...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card