Views
Helpful
Replies

Pro's and Con's if i run multiple host firmware packages in the single chassis

radanget
Level 1
Level 1

hi

i would like to know pro's and Con's if i run multiple host firmware packages in the single chassis.

Like if my UCS is running with firmware of 1.4.1m ( having backup of 1.3.1 and 1.1.1j) with 3 blades in one chassis

can i assign  service-profiles having three different host firmware versions

Server1 - host firmware 1.1.1j-- win2k8

server2 -host firmware 1.4.1m -- RHEL 5.6 ( OS)

server -host firmware 1.3.1 -(esxi 4.0)

Thanks in advance ,please replay if can i go ahead with this . ASAP

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, you can package them together.

Now Cisco has a better way. Cisco UCS Manager provides two main advantages over past firmware provisioning:

• The capability to group multiple firmware components together in one package

• The capability to apply a firmware package to any compatible server in a single operation

Cisco  UCS Manager provides an accurate, easier, faster, more flexible, and  centralized solution for managing firmware across the entire hardware  stack. Service profiles in Cisco UCS Manager abstract the physical  hardware from its software properties. Service profiles allow  administrators to associate any compatible firmware with any component  of the hardware stack. Simply download the firmware versions needed from  Cisco and then, within minutes, totally provision firmware on  components within the server, fabric interconnect, and fabric extender  based on required network, server, and storage policies per application  and operating system.

here is the document

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns340/ns517/ns224/ns944/white_paper_c11-588010_ps10279_Products_White_Paper.html

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, you can package them together.

Now Cisco has a better way. Cisco UCS Manager provides two main advantages over past firmware provisioning:

• The capability to group multiple firmware components together in one package

• The capability to apply a firmware package to any compatible server in a single operation

Cisco  UCS Manager provides an accurate, easier, faster, more flexible, and  centralized solution for managing firmware across the entire hardware  stack. Service profiles in Cisco UCS Manager abstract the physical  hardware from its software properties. Service profiles allow  administrators to associate any compatible firmware with any component  of the hardware stack. Simply download the firmware versions needed from  Cisco and then, within minutes, totally provision firmware on  components within the server, fabric interconnect, and fabric extender  based on required network, server, and storage policies per application  and operating system.

here is the document

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns340/ns517/ns224/ns944/white_paper_c11-588010_ps10279_Products_White_Paper.html

hi Reza Sharifi

Thank you

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card