Views
Helpful
Replies

Reboot ISE node via CIMC

sasni
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I'm managing my ise nodes remotely. Recently I've applied Log4j hotfix to all of my ise nodes and one of them got stuck in APP_INSTALL. Trying to issue application stop ise or rolling back the patch doesn't work because the database is still locked with APP_INSTALL. I want to at least try rebooting it before rebuilding it.

I'm trying to reboot my ise node via CIMC but couldn't find any references. From the CIMC (version 4.0), I can see Host Power and the options under it; Power Off, Power On, Power Cycle, Hard Reset and Shut Down.

I don't know which one should I choose - Power Cycle or Hard Reset. I can't get anyone to be there physically and reboot the node for me, so ideally when I do this, it must be the option that don't require someone onsite to help press the Power button to turn on back the ise node.

Apologies for the very basic question, trying to understand each of the options. Thanks in advance for any help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would try power cycle first, as that will be a more graceful shutdown, reboot sequence which should issue an acpi power shutdown/restart to the OS.  Sometimes, if the OS is hung, that never completes.  Hard reset would be your 2nd choice if nothing happens after 5-10 min.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/sw/cli/config/guide/3_0/b_Cisco_UCS_C-Series_CLI_Configuration_Guide_301.pdf

Server# scope chassis
Server /chassis # power shutdown

Server# scope chassis
Server /chassis # power on
Warning: System is already powered ON, this action is ineffective.
Do you want to continue?[y|N]y

Server# scope chassis
Server /chassis # power cycle

Kirk...

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would try power cycle first, as that will be a more graceful shutdown, reboot sequence which should issue an acpi power shutdown/restart to the OS.  Sometimes, if the OS is hung, that never completes.  Hard reset would be your 2nd choice if nothing happens after 5-10 min.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/sw/cli/config/guide/3_0/b_Cisco_UCS_C-Series_CLI_Configuration_Guide_301.pdf

Server# scope chassis
Server /chassis # power shutdown

Server# scope chassis
Server /chassis # power on
Warning: System is already powered ON, this action is ineffective.
Do you want to continue?[y|N]y

Server# scope chassis
Server /chassis # power cycle

Kirk...

Thank you for your response, it worked!  

I went ahead power recycling it from the GUI, and everything went smooth from there. Greatly appreciate your help on this. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card