Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS 200 have CIMC issues shows address but does not respond to http requests

ryfoley
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ok

i have 5  usc machines and doing the bios updates and CIMC updates  on 4 machine no issues . for some reason on the last machine it waned to be a pain .. i did the bios update just like all the other machines that are working and online ..  and then rebooted after that was complete i went into the CIMC console  web page of the system ( . like the other ones . went into the firmware management page . told the system to update the firmware . it took just the same amount of time as the other 4 machines . i watched it and it said complete with no issues .. .. so i told it to activate the new firmware that it downloaded to the system . and now it will not respond over IP anymore . not sure where to go and what to do next . do i need to call tech support and request a new machines ? .. is it dead ...

i have powered off the server . rebooted ....  and then booting up if does show that the CIMC does have an ipaddress on boot up . so i assume that it is working . i try and ping it from both my laptop and desktop . ( one wired and one wireless on different segments and they both respond but to no avail it still does not respond to http access ..

anyone have any ideas how to get it back online

thanks

ryan

31 Replies 31

Hi Steven, I had the same issue, and I was able to get in using ssh, but question is if I reboot the CIMC, would that affect any production environment or any VMware, ESXi, etc. will affect? What i know when you reboot CIMC using ssh it will reset Management interface and probably no management access available for 1 or 2 min until management reset, but I want to know during productions hrs if I reboot CIMC using ssh it will affect anything, or we are good to reboot anytime ????

Greetings.

The CIMC/BMC is an out of band controller.  It stays powered up while the server is powered off, and like wise can be reset while the server is running, and the OS will not be aware of it's restart.

Unless you are utilizing some specific feature of the CIMC such as SOL/serial over Lan, the BIOS,storage, cpus, etc will have no knowledge of the CIMC reset.

You can avoid the CIMC memory leak condition by upgrading the CIMC to HUU 1.43P or higher for your UCS M2 rack servers.  For M3/M4 rack servers, version 2.03i or higher resolves a similar mem leak condition.

As has already been discussed in this thread, a hard power cycle (pull power cords for 30 seconds will reset the CIMC), or if the SSH functionality is still there, you can scope to the CIMC and issue reboot via CLI.

Thanks,

Kirk...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card