Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS B250 M2 and SLES11 SP1

Timm Wiegel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello alltogether,

we have a problem with installation of SLES11 SP1. The local harddisk is recognized as /dev/sdc. Normally it should be recognized as /dev/sda.

Now sda and sdb is the virtual CDROM and floppy drive. How to manipulate the order of the hardware?.

If we install SLES10, the harddisk is shown as /dev/sda and this is what we expected.

Now many people think that we should install on /dev/sdc. But if in the next Service Pack of SLES11 the harddisk works as /dev/sda, then the server could make problems.

In the support matrix SLES11 SP1 is supported.

yours sincerely

Timm

3 Replies 3

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Timm,

Did a quick test on B250 system board with SLES SP1 and RHEL 6.1 on B250 ( during installation, we can get shell access by pressing CTRL+ALT+F2 )

Looks like USB PCI bridge ( 00 )  is ahead of SCSI ( 01 )  on the PCI bus.

Might be there are tweaks available in linux kernel to modify the device ordering name during the installation.

Is there an issue on installing / booting SLES Linux from device other than sda ?

Padma

For the installation there is no problem, but if we need to update (in future SP2), there could be problems if the order changes.

i hope you understand my problem.

Timm,

I am not aware of specific problem related to SLES upgrades.

As I noticed, the scsi  bus is listed next to USB bus by the PCI address. This order will not cahnge. Also, I believe we might be able to reorder within a class but not between different classes.

Might be some one more familiar with SLES  could clarify whether there will be any issues during the upgrades when OS was installed on device name other than sda.

HTH

Padma

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card