cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Updating server firmware using Cisco CIMC

JDMils
Level 1
Level 1

We have a number of Cisco C220 M4S & C220 M5S servers connected to our Cisco IMC Supervisor V2.2.0.2. We would like to update the firmware on these servers and I found that you can upload the firmware into CIMC (Systems\Firmware Management\) however I cannot see how I can use the uploaded firmware to upgrade my servers.

So the only way i can think of performing the upgrade is to attach the ISO to the KVM of each server, boot the server into the ISO and update from there.

So why can't I update the server directly from CIMC since it has the firmware upload function? Or is this only for using the CLI to update the servers?

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The CIMC, admin/firmware management option, is for individually uploading and activating components such as CIMC, BIOS, RAID controller, VIC card, if you have the individual firmware components extracted out of the HUU ISO.

Later versions of HUU in 4.x versions have this laid out nicely.  Versions in the 3.x range actually had the firmware in an encrypted file, that was not easy to extract.

huu firmware 1.JPG

huu firmware 2.JPG

The IMC Supervisor, has the ability to push the whole fimware HUU contents to the servers automatically, without having to worry about individually mounting the HUU/ISO, or individual files.  https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/Cisco-IMC-Sup/mgmt-guide/2-2/b_Cisco_IMC_Supervisor_Mgmt_Guide_2_2/b_Cisco_IMC_Supervisor_Mgmt_Guide_2_1_chapter_01001.html 

Kirk...

JDMils
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you so much. I see how it works now. Interestingly when I try your method, I get a red box with a "X" and the error is "Validation Failed" irrespective which firmware I choose. Must be a bug in the software.

But thanks again!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card