cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Use same boot lun configured on M4 blade on my M5 blade

petercondon
Level 1
Level 1

I am waiting on my hardware to arrive (16 B200 M5 blades) and want to get everything prepped beforehand as much as possible due to time constraints.

I have a spare B200 M4 blade that I can use to present my boot LUN(s) to.  What I want to do is:

1. Present 1 Boot LUN to my B200 M4 blade, install ESXi and configure Networking/etc.

2. Power-down Service Profile/Blade / Un-present that boot LUN to this blade.

2. Present another Boot LUN to this B200 M4 blade, install ESXi and configure Networking/etc.

3. repeat for all 16 boot LUN's needed.

4. Once my B200 M5 blades are installed, present 1 boot LUN to each of them and they should all be up and running with OS installed/networking configured, etc.

I just want to ensure the B200 M5 blades will be ok with this if the OS was initially installed on a B200 M4 blade.

Thanks for any replies.

-Pete

1 Reply 1

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

For ESXi, you can probably get away with that from a chipset/CPU perspective.

Make sure your install has got the vibs for drivers matching the HCL for your M5s.

You might want to explicitly setup a vcon placement policy.

You will likely have Esxi try to jumble your VMNIC order around once you boot back up to the M5, so don't be surprised if networking takes a little reworking after booting the M5s.  Maybe the vcon placement policy will keep that from happening.

If you were asking about Windows, I'd wish you best of luck, but I think you will do alright with ESXi.

Kirk...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card