cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Where can I find Power and Tempearture readings on UCS X-Series?

RedNectar
VIP
VIP

Hi experts,

TLDR;

How do I get the same information as shown in the screendumps below (of a UCS Chassis managed by UCS Manager) for our sparkling new UCS-X which can only be managed in Intersight?

Specifically:

1. How much power is being consumed/supplied by each PS in the chassis?
  2. How much power is being consumed by each Server?
  3. How fast are the fans spinning?
  4. What temperature is everything actually operating at?

The Full Story

We are so excited - we've just taken delivery of a beautiful UCS X-Series chassis, which I'm sure you know has abandoned the tired old (but useful) UCS Manager user interface for the deligtful new (but challenging) Intersight only management interface.

But here's my problem.  I've deployed the UCSX chassis in out lab, and managed to get a couple of servers to the point of having a Server Profile applied, but I have no idea how much power those servers, or the chasis, or the fabric interconnects are drawing. Nor can I find the temperature of these components.  And I'd like to know just how fast the fans are spinning too.

Now in the "old" (well, the HTML 5 version is not that old, but the Internet moves quickly) UCSM system of management, it was as simple as clicking on a Chassis, then clicking the Power or Temperature tab

Bingo. Intuative. At your fingertips. In tabluar or chart format

image.png

And you could create policies to monitor power

image.png

and see the temperature...

image.png

And even getting the fan speeds was not that hard

image.png

So my question is really quite simple.

How do I get the same information for our sparkling new UCS-X?

Specifically:

1. How much power is being consumed/supplied by each PS in the chassis?
  2. How much power is being consumed by each Server?
  3. How fast are the fans spinning?
  4. What temperature is everything actually operating at?
RedNectar aka Chris Welsh.
Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.
6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

CIMC

Hi @Leo Laohoo ,

I'm delighted that you made an effort to reply, but (as I must admit I have been guilty of in the past) you didn't comprehend my questions before answering. But I'd be honoured if you took another look.

You see, the Chassis doesn't have a CIMC.  And really, my question was more about "How do I get UCSM equivalent functionality from Intersight?" even if I wasn't so blatant in the question.

From a console session I can 

connect cimc <chassis-id>/<blade-id> or <rack-id> 

but I can't just connect to the chassis and examine it. And there is NO WAY I get get a graph like that shown in my question from CIMC

At the end of the day, I am really struggling to understand why it is so hard to get the functionality that is in UCSM via Intersight, and THAT is my main problem.

I really hope you (or one of the other esteemed experts - Darn - I'm supposed to be one of them ) can shed some light on this.

Forum Tips: 1. Paste images inline - don't attach. 2. Always mark helpful and correct answers, it helps others find what they need.

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Chris.

After making some inquiries, I think this request would be best handled via the ?, submit feedback option.

intersight feedback 1.PNG

intersight feedback 2.PNG

I know the feedback is very closely monitored.

I would submit a link to this forum topic link in the feedback, as you have already listed the UCSM related views of what you are looking for in Intersight.

Thanks,

Kirk...

Hi @Kirk J ,

Thanks for resurrecting this forgotten thread.

Actually, I did hit the feedback button too. (I hit it hard and often actually) And I got an answer that says Intersight does not have all the functionality of UCSM. Which is fine if you are running UCS-B series chassis - you can still manage your FIs and chassis using UCSM (i.e. you are not FORCED to use Intersight) BUT with the UCS-X series, you ARE FORCED to use Intersight and just hope that the functionality will eventually get to be on par with the old UCSM - but in the meantime...

TIP for anyone else reading this: USE THE FEEDBACK button in Intersight. Cisco will never be able to pick up on all the features customers want without customer feedback. And they really DO listen when you send feedback. I've already seen some of my suggestions become reality!

magga2
Level 1
Level 1

Just replying to add I have also hit the send feedback button because I feel that this data is important the same with Temps of blades from a chassis overview. I really feel light intersight is a few hundred steps back from UCSM. 

Check out slides 18/19/20 from this years Cisco Live Vegas, it should be coming very soon for IMM mode:

https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/global-event/docs/2023/pdf/BRKCOM-1991.pdf

If there are additional issues feel free to DM me, there is a customer success group that can work with you on identifying any barriers to Intersight Managed Mode in your environment.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card