Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
dsoper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cisco UCS Platform Emulator, Release 4.2(2aPE1)

CONFIGURATION IMPORT NOTE:  Importing configuration backups (All, System, or Logical) taken from the UCS Platform Emulator (UCSPE) to physical UCS Manager domains is not recommended or supported by Cisco TAC.  UCSPE backups should only be imported to UCSPE domains.

New Features and Significant Changes in Cisco UCS PE, Release 4.2(2aPE1)

• Full scale emulation of UCS Manager 4.2(2a) with support for M6 Servers.  Note that not all features present in UCS Manager 4.2(2a) are supported (see Known Limitations in the Release Notes).
  • New default HW config with 64108 Fabric Interconnects and M6 Servers.
  • UCSPE is featured in a Cisco dCloud programmability demo.   The demo includes a comprehensive lab guide including the following content for Cisco UCS PowerTool and the Python SDK:
    • Overviews of PowerShell and Python programming environments with step-by-step usage instructions.
    • Code generation examples including code generation with UCS Manager's HTML5 interface.
    • Sample script creation and use with UCSPE.

Hardware Feature Summary

• 64108 and 6454 Fabric Interconnects
  • C4200 Series Rack Server Chassis with C125 Rack Servers
  • M6 and M5 B-Series and C-Series servers including HX220C and HX240C
  • Cisco UCS S3260 chassis, servers, and storage controllers
  • NVMe-based PCIe storage options

Known Limitations

• The Platform Emulator does not support connections to Cisco Intersight to avoid the use of Intersight resources by emulated devices. The Intersight Device Connector has been disabled and the device connector menu in the UI is non-functional. You can use Intersight demo environments in the Cisco demo Cloud (https://dcloud.cisco.com/ ) and Cisco DevNet (https://developer.cisco.com/site/intersight/ ) to explore Intersight management of UCS.
  • Imported configurations should be manually checked to ensure there are no missing or unsupported components.  If issues are experienced following an import, any unsupported components can be manually deleted and missing components manually added through the Equipment menu on the Navigation pane.
  • Firmware Management and Firmware Auto Install have not been fully validated in this release.  If issues are experienced during FW download, please try alternate methods such as API based download (e.g., using PowerTool or Python SDK).  If issues are experienced with FW policies, please try excluding all components from the policy.
  • AAA-based authentication (LDAP, RADIUS, TACACs): The Platform Emulator accepts security configuration changes, but does not enforce local or remote password authentication.  Any username and password combination can successfully log into the Cisco UCS Manger UI with administrator privileges.

IMPORTANT CONFIGURATION NOTE: Backup/Import of UCSM Configuration

• The Platform Emulator does not save UCSM configuration state across Emulator resets to avoid consistency issues in UCSM configuration and the emulator HW configuration.  To preserve UCSM state, UCSM backup and import operations can be performed.  See an example backup/import flow at PythonSDK for backup/restore (import) of UCSM config

Firmware Management: UCSPE supports uploading B-Series and C-Series server firmware bundles.  Because of the large file sizes of the firmware bundles, UCSPE only supports uploading of stripped-down versions (link below).  Stripped-down versions include only the firmware metadata (not the actual firmware binaries).

Download Instructions

MD5 hashes for downloads:

• ZIP: b390bbf1d783532194141c9b7bff6d64
  • OVA: 1577b7b88b7287b707fea9995c5f0135
Comments

@dsoper Thanks for looking at it.  Is this something that will be looked at for resolution in a future release?

sdread
Level 1
Level 1

Has the Emulator now been discontinued?

There doesn't appear to be any valid download links.

dsoper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
The links on the download page appear up and valid.

[cid:20d3464a-fba4-4c2c-8181-824f6f2dc78b]

You will have to login to cisco.com to see the links.
cowboycraig73
Level 1
Level 1

A new link has to be created now and then. Usually an admin will create a new link when someone mentions it here.

sdread
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I am logged on with my cisco.com account and I don't get any files being shown when I follow the link2024-01-17 15_54_23-Software Download - Cisco Systems.png

RamblingPSTech
Level 1
Level 1

When will UCSPE release 4.3 become available?

sifmadm
Level 1
Level 1

Is it still possible to download the emulator? The links lead to a page where you can't download anything.

dsoper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
The 4.2 download link appears valid and I'm able to see the files. You may need to try in a private browser session.

Thanks,
David
sifmadm
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I still don't see anything on the download page. I have tried the following:
1.- Launch a Chrome browser in a private browser session.
2.- Login to the portal via https://id.cisco.com/
3.- Access the following link to download it:
https://software.cisco.com/download/beta/473431653

Is this the correct link for the download? I don't see any other.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: