Views
Helpful
Replies

server monitoring

mistereder
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

we want to integrate UCS in our environment.

befor we will buy a UCS i need to know a view things.

We need a server monitoring. Is there a server monitoring integrated in the 6200 FI? Or do we need an additional software stack like BMC?

Is this monitoring agentless or do i need an agent in the os?

I will also use VMFex technology in the performance mode (bypass the virtual switch). is it possible to have a virtual machine communication from one vm1 to vm2 (within the same esx server) internal the esx server? Or will the traffic flow goes from vm1 out to the FI 6200 an back to vm2?

thanks a lot for your help.

3 Replies 3

MonitorScout
Level 1
Level 1

Server Monitoring is not agentless, you have to install a software in to your OS, otherwise it wouldn't be possible to get the information about the components associated with the server like file system, CPU usage, processors etc. You can visit to Monitor Scout to know the details about server monitor, we offer an easy-to-use monitoring solution that can be used for single server monitor to complete datacenter monitoring.

Hello All, I am joining too late….really nice and helpful post, even A very well briefly written post. People have look on http://www.woodstone.nu/salive this is also a very handy tool for server monitoring tools and monitoring software. Hope you like that.

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

* Is there a server monitoring integrated in the 6200 FI?

The Fabric Interconnect comes with UCSM (UCS Manager) which will not only let you manage the servers an different end points but will also give you some information about temperature, voltage, ECC statistics (DIMM statistics), HDD/CPU/Adapter/IOMs/PSU/Fans status, but not that granularity of CPU load and processes

*I will also use VMFex technology... is it possible to have a virtual machine communication from one vm1 to  vm2 (within the same esx server) internal the esx server? Or will the  traffic flow goes from vm1 out to the FI 6200 an back to vm2?

Every ESXi host has a "embedded" virtual switch, if virtual machines are in the same vlan the switching is done in the same host, if not you'll need intervlan switching.  With VM-FEX you are leaving behind the need for the vSwitch and pass the controll to a parent switch (in this case the Fabric Interconnect), bypassing that vSwitch mentioned already.

With VM-FEX the switching will all be done at the Fabric Interconnect level.

See this diagram for how that will look like in the logical view:

Hope that helps! 

-Kenny

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card