cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS Backup and Export Policy retention policy.

Robert Leibold
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to make use of the scheduled backup capabilities of UCSM and have a question.  I have gotten it to work fine, but I am unclear on how many copies of the backups it keeps.  The documentation simply states “Cisco UCS maintains a maximum number of backup files on the remote server. When that number is exceeded, Cisco UCS overwrites the oldest backup file.” 

What does that mean?  Does it monitor disk space usage and start overwriting when the disk gets full?  How does it determine when the maximum number of backup file has been exceeded?  Just want to know if I should write my own script to clean up the backups or if I should let UCS handle it.

Thanks,

Bob

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Bob,

The maxfiles parameter is used when UCSM is registered with UCS Central.It is user configurable parameter on UCS Central and controls number of backup files to be stored on UCS Central system.

When it is not registered with UCS Central and storing backup files on remote backup server, UCSM does not manage those backup files.Server administrator  of the remote machine has to monitor the disk usage and rotate the backup files.

I have submitted defect CSCui76688 to clearly document this behavior.

HTH

Padma

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Bob,

I will get back to you on what the maximum number of files that we maintain on remote server for scheduled backups.

Padma

Padma,

Great, let me know what you find.

Thanks,

Bob

Hello Bob,

The maxfiles parameter is used when UCSM is registered with UCS Central.It is user configurable parameter on UCS Central and controls number of backup files to be stored on UCS Central system.

When it is not registered with UCS Central and storing backup files on remote backup server, UCSM does not manage those backup files.Server administrator  of the remote machine has to monitor the disk usage and rotate the backup files.

HTH

Padma

Hello Bob,

HTH

Padma

Hi Padma,

Thanks for tracking this down and sumitting the defect to get the docs cleared up.

Bob

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card