Views
Helpful
Replies

Provisioning : Incorrect documentation of « preserve-value » attribute

Jonathan Leroy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

In the latest version of the Cisco IP Desk Phone with Multiplatform Firmware Administration Guide, the documentation regarding the preserve-value attribute is incorrect:

The ua attribute, if present, must have one of the following values:
na—No access
ro—Read-only
rw—Read and write
y—Preserve value

The y value must be used together with na, ro, or rw.

The following example illustrates the ua attribute.
Notice in the last line that the ua attribute is updated to rw, and the station name field (Travel Agent 1) is preserved.
If y is not included, Travel Agent 1 is overwritten:

<flat-profile>
			<SIP_TOS_DiffServ_Value_1_ ua=”na”/>
 		<Dial_Plan_1_ ua=”ro”/>	
			<Dial_Plan_2_ ua=”rw”/>
<Station_Name ua=“rw” preserve-value="y">Travel Agent 1</Station_Name></flat-profile>

There’s multiples errors here : 

• « y » is presented as a valid value for the ua attribute, which it is not,
  • « y » is in fact a value for a new tag called preserve-value, which is undocumented,
  • The provided example and its explanation are simply incomprehensible, the fact that the value is preserved has nothing to with the ua attribute, but with the fact that the preserve-value attribute have been added.

I think the preserve-value attribute need its own section in the documentation, like the user-pref attribute bellow. The documentation should tell if it can be set to other values (‘n’ I guess) and what happens when it’s missing. 

In the current situation, I don’t understand the difference between preserve-value and user-pref attributes.

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

CoreyP319
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thank you for the info, Jonathan. I've shared your feedback with the team and we're going to get that updated and you the information you are requesting. Its being routed to that technical authoring team and I'll share information as soon as they pass it along.

Thank you @CoreyP319