cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PC <-> Phone <-> switch duplex problems

j_finley
Level 1
Level 1

I have a weird issue and need advice. I hard set all my switch ports to 100/Full. I have all my IP phones directly connected to the switches. My PC's are plugged into the phone. I hard set the PC's to 100/half. When running some applications that pull from a database, it will take a minute or so for it to come up. Note: these phones do not allow speed/duplex settings.

When I set the switch port to "auto/auto", it runs the application fast. My PC is set to 100/half. When I checked the switch, it negotiated at 100/full. So why is it slow when I hard set it and fast when it negotiates to the same speed/duplex I set it to?

This problem exists on a Cisco 4003 w/ a 48 port blade and a Cisco 3550 24 port switch.

As always, Thanks!

Joe

3 Replies 3

milay
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The speed & duplex need to be set the same on the phones as the CCM. If you set the switch ports to 100/Full then the IPPhones need to be 100/full!!! if you set the switchports to 100/FUll and leavet he phones set to auto/auto they they will negotiate speed but not duplex. Since you have to go to each phone and set the speed/duplex to something other than auto/auto I recomend that you set the switchports, IP Phone & PS set to auto/auto.

Mike

mikima777
Level 1
Level 1

Joe

When you hard set speed/duplex on switch, configure also "spanning-tree portfast" on the same switch's port

btw, ip phone contains a switch, and you are connecting your pc to ip phone's switch and not to your main switch, so duplex/speed on pc and on your main switch could mismatch

Thanks for the responses. What I did was set the ports to auto/auto. I can't hardset the phones and after doing that all is well. I just hate using auto because of known past problems with certain NICS & NIC Drivers.