Views
Helpful
Replies

Beep on transfer with SPA504G (SPA5xx)

justin.massiot
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

My company own a set of Cisco SPA5xx phones and when somebody transfers a call to anyone else, there is no audio indication to the final recipient that he/she is presently connected to the initial caller. In the "attended transfer manipulation" I expect the phone to create a beep to the recipient when hitting the "transfer" key for the second time, i.e. when confirming the transfer, but this is not the case. Can I configure it to do that? Nothing found in the documentations.

I use FreePBX/Asterisk and there is also a built-in transfer feature with *2. This one does create a beep when the transfer is done, but I find it hard to use. I would have the best of both solutions :-)

Thanks for your suggestions ;-)

3 Replies 3

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

To avoid confusion, some details related to attended transfer sequence needs to be clarified. Especially the final part of it.

You have the original call to be transferred (now on hold) and the second active call to the transfer target.

Now you wish to connect those two calls together so you smash the transfer key. Your phone is firing transfer request to PBX. And PBX:

1. disconnects your phone from both calls
  2. your phone is no longer part of either call
  3. both calls are connect the together

Conclusion ? Phone is no longer in game when both calls become connected. Thus no way it can "beep" to either side. No one but PBX can beep.

Ask FreePBX support why transfer initiated by *2 does "beep" but transfer initiated by SIP REFER message doesn't beep. 

Hey Dan,

Thank you for the tip, I am now searching for a solution about the "SIP REFER" message. It is always better when you know the appropriate vocabulary ;-)

Justin

Note my description has been very brief. Consider reading of RFC5589 and RFC3515 to learn more.

Also, exact sequence of SIP messages depends on firmware version and overall configuration of your phone and/or PBX.

If you ask help from a FreePBX expert then the file with captured packets of SIP is "appropriate vocabulary" for the purpose of such question.