cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Correct configuration of UC320W behind 2Wire 2701HG DSL Gateway

sharam_55
Level 1
Level 1

We have DSL internet service from AT&T getting 5.05 Mbps down and 0.64 Mpbs up. They provided us with a 2Wire 2701HG DSL Gateway with 5 Static IP addresses.

We are implementing our first VOIP solution and we only have 1 UC320 plus 10 Cisco 303 IP phones.

I plan to assign one of the Static IP addresses to our UC320, so that it gets one of the external IP addresses from our Gateway.

Which of the 3 topologies is correct for our network?

1. UC320W routes Voice and Data

2. UC320W routes Voice

3. UC320W routes Voice and Data with external DHCP Server

My preference is to use UC320 to route both Voice and Data.

2Wire gateway has a DMZplus feature. Which TCP & UDP ports do I have to open?

Last question, is it feasible to have 3 concurrent calls on 0.64 Mpbs up bandwidth?

Thank you in advance.

S

3 Replies 3

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Sharam,

I do not know much about the 2Wire routers, however Option 1 on the UC-320 would be the first option I would look at, but I cannot be certain without first looking at the network topology and knowing what is on the network and what are the network concentrators and their respective roles.

However on the UC-320W you would program the WAN port with the Static IP address and all the required details, then on the 2Wire if it is capable of it, route all incoming traffic on that IP address to the UC-320.

Curious though, is the UC-320 going to be issueing out IP addresses to PC's as well?

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David,

Thank you for your response. I just found out that the AT&T Uverse modem (2wire 2701 HGV-B) does not allow us to assign a "static IP" address to UC320W. It seems to me that it does NAT for all devices connected to it on the LAN side.  Also, there is no way to make it work in a bridge mode!

They talk about DMZ+ feature that would forward certain ports to a specific computer.

Do you think it is suffient if we do port forwarding on port 5060 on both TCP & UDP?

Thanks,

Sharam

Hi Sharam,

Do you think it is suffient if we do port forwarding on port 5060 on both TCP & UDP?

Yeppers that should be fine

Just make sure you do 5060 UDP and 5061 UDP if you have more than one channel on your SIP trunk, if you have more than two channels then check with the ITSP what ports numbers they are using.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *