Views
Helpful
Replies

Dial plan when pressing digits without pressing speakerphone

scottgifford
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am configuring a few cisco phones for a small office, SPA 525G and SPA504G.

I have my dialplan set up so that when a user takes the phone off-hook or activates the speakerphone, they can dial numbers that work in our office and have them dialed immediately, without pressing "dial".  This works just fine.

With our current phone system, users are accustomed to just pressing digits on their keypad without first taking the phone off-hook or activating the speakerphone.  This works on the cisco phones as long as the user presses "dial", but I can't get my dialplan rules to work when the user has just started pressing digits on their phone; they always have to enter the full number then press "dial".

Is there a way to configure a dialplan that takes effect when a user just starts entering digits?  Or to have it automatically go into speakerphone mode when a user starts entering digits, and follow the dialplan for the default extension?

2 Replies 2

nseto
Level 6
Level 6

You can have the user enter the digits and after finishing entering, pick up the handset or press the speaker so the digits are then sent without pressing the dial softkey.

Thanks for your thoughts nseto,

You are right that if the users change their behavior they can work around this.  However old habits die hard, and these users have had their existing phone system for a number of years.  On top of that, the user interface of just dialing is simpler IMO than having to press a button or pick up the handset.  Because of those, my preference is to configure the phone with the behavior this customer would like, rather than configuring the customer to have the behavior the phone would like.  :-)

It would surprise me if there is no way to do this, apart from the administrator's guide and Google (where I have already looked), can anybody recommend someplace to scrounge around for this sort of information?

Thanks!

----Scott.