I set the SPA IP address as per the SPA Network Current IP address.
The "Your IP Address" (PC LAN address) is correct as I've confirmed with the ipconfig command.
The first thing that doesn't happen is the utilities SPA information pop-up that is supposed to get populated with all the phone information does not show any phone information. After hitting the Upgrade button all that happens is you get the "Waiting for Firmware Download Request from SPA" that goes on and on (I've let it go for ~ 5 minutes before giving up and hitting Cancel).
Again, I've done all that the utility states if the firmware download does not start:
No, I have not done a Reset to default factory settings. I'm extremely cautious about reseting anything to factory defaults when the device (any device) is functional (working without any problems). Call me chicken.