ATTENTION: We are currently working an issue with posting. Thank you for your patience while we work on a resolution.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help! - VOIP router keeps dropping connection

3n1cn7ap123
Level 1
Level 1

First let me say that I really have tried all the obvious - cables, power cords, outlets, etc.  I've replaced the VOIP router and the cable modem also.  But I lose the connection several times per day and have to power cycle to get it back.  Started happening within weeks of first switching to VOIP service and installing the (first) VOIP router.  To rule out our alarm system, interference, cables, etc. I've even disconnected EVERYTHING downstream so that it's just cable modem --> VOIP router --> nothing.  The third light on the router STILL goes out several times a day.  It just can't seem to maintain its connection.   If I do have either phone or internet connected to the box I lose both of them when that third light goes out.  But if I bypass the VOIP router I never lose connection.  My internet speeds are 4-5Mbps download, ~1Mbps upload, signal strengths and SNR are very good.  I even tried a signal amplifier just to check, and lost the connection within 2 hours of installing that.   All the tests on www.myvoipspeed.com turn out fine except for speed CONSISTENCY, but while that might affect voice quality, I can't see how that would affect the maintenance of a connection. 

The cable modem is in a garage area.  Never below 40F.  Have had the VOIP router nearby (3ft cat5 cable from the modem) and also indoors (after a 75ft cat5 cable run), with no difference.

I've tried looking at all the configuration parameters for both modem and router but see nothing obvious that might help or any setting for "timeout" or "keep alive".  Have thought about MAC cloning but the problem exists even with no computer downstream. 

As you might expect, my cable company says their signal parameters check out fine, my phone company (who sold me the Cisco SPA 2012 router) says either that it's the cable company or "my wiring" (after having told them about a half dozen times that I lose the connection with nothing downstream).  Neither seems to have much expertise in the way of diagnostics or troubleshooting.  At this point I tend to think I just had bad luck and got a two 'bad' routers in a row, but I'm not about to throw more money after this just to find that wasn't the case.  

What else can I try to figure this out and/or fix it???  Someone here must be smarter than the people from the cable and phone companies I've been talking to!

0 Replies 0