Views
Helpful
Replies

**IMPORTANT** Feature Enahncement for SPA Phones and UC-500

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Cisco Team,

I would like to raise to you another **Important** Feature enhancement that is also topping the chart in the most requested, currently sitting at 4th place but is quickly creeping into the top 3.

Feature Ringing or Distinctive ringing as it may also be known as.

Currently on certain ring tones Cisco attempts to change the Cadence of the ring tone, however the lay person either simply does not recognize the differences or does not even listen out for it because it required due attention.

The easiest way to overcome this problem is to do a structural separation or a clear distinction between an internal and an external call, this could be achieved relatively easy by allow the use in the phone settings to pick a ring tone for an internal call and a ring tone for an external call.

Now I don't know how hard this would be to program in, given that the IOS would need to deliver a clear distinction to the phone so the phone knew what ring tone to play, but none-the-less it is still an **Important** feature enhancement that needs to also be taken into serious consideration.

To give a further example, systems like the LG iPECS can support this, or an Avaya (Just seen this demonstrated the other day) or a Samsung and even a Mitel can all produce this result... So it begs the question, was this overlooked by the development team, or was this feature just not consider or seen as a priority during the development cycle?

Like a previous post of mine, it would be good to get the feedback from other community participants as well, certainly would bring to light the issue a little more.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *
3 Replies 3

nalbert
Level 4
Level 4

David,

On the SPA phones this can be accomplished by sending Incoming calls from the PSTN to one button and creating a seperate button for all internal calling. Different ring tone could be then applied to different buttons.

When users request this feature, is this usually for one or two users, or does the entire organisation use this feature?

Hi Albert,

I am fully aware of being able to do it to a button assignment, but this is a rarely used setup as you are not as flexible with call routing, especially when you do funky call routing practices

If you are not aware of it, I have been doing this for a while now and have done a considerable amount of UC deployments, and have learnt some pretty nifty tricks in that time, so I wouldn't have requested the feature enhancement unless there was a need in doing so.

In regards to the request by the end user, this is a company wide request, and it never matters how large the deployment is, either 5 seats or 100 the request is always the same... I don't know of user habits in America and can only speak for Australian end users, they are picky, fussy and always prefer clear distinctions and easy setups, when working they do not want to have to think about what they are doing.

Also assigning buttons is not a solution because of one common factor, there is never enough button real-estate to work with when you have to incorporate all their other requests, even speed-dial assignments, they don't want to have to scroll through lists they just want to hit buttons, so when you consider that request, plus single button transfer or watching/monitoring and other requirements, the ability to designate incoming calls to a button no longer becomes an option, not to mention that the SPA phones are only dual-line which means you then have to assign overflow buttons, which again eats away at button real-estate... A big NO NO

I hope I am making sense and am able to put forward a decent argument for this request, if you want more examples I will find the time to create case studdies or site examples for your perusal, this would take time as the sales guys of late went nuts and sold more systems than I can build/engineer, and I am the only Cisco engineer here

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

For the sake of others out there, I just quickly drew up a brief instruction sheet to give to clients just in case some may not fully understand the procedure during training.

If anyone wants the raw Visio template to modify it to their own requirements or instructions, please send me a in-forum private message and I will send it to you or I can upload it to here.

Hope this helps someone out

Cheers,

David.