cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Provisioning Cisco Small Business Phones (SPA Series)

modulussa
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I'm having some issues provisioning Cisco Small Business Phones (SPA Series). The filenames requested from the TFTP server are not consistent, and I haven't been able to find this behaviour documented somewhere.

The issue is some units request filenames of the form:

Aug 29 13:52:36 pbx in.tftpd[4566]: RRQ from 172.30.113.110 filename /spa00a28959bd4e.xml

Whereas other units request filenames of the form:

Aug 29 13:52:31 pbx in.tftpd[4563]: RRQ from 10.121.7.11 filename SEP00A28959C257.cnf.xml
Aug 29 13:52:31 pbx in.tftpd[4564]: RRQ from 10.121.7.11 filename XMLDefault502G.cnf.xml
Aug 29 13:52:31 pbx in.tftpd[4565]: RRQ from 10.121.7.11 filename XMLDefault.cnf.xml

Is there some configuration triggering this? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Maybe the firmware of the SPA.

Hello, Leo Laohoo

Thanks for your reply,

All the devices have the same (latest) Firmware Version. It seems the phones request a different filename when the "voice vlan" setting is enabled on the switch the phones are connected to (Cisco Small Business 300 series).

I think that cnf.xml file extensions are related with Cisco Call Manager Systems but i can't find this sort of behaviour documented anywhere.

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Configuration file names are not inconsistent. They are different configuration file, dedicated to different mode of operation, with different content and syntax.

The XML* names are for SPCP mode, while sip* are for SIP mode. Decide which mode you wish to use, configure phone accordingly.

Unconfigured phone use simple logic - if SPCP configuration files can be fetched from TFTP, the SPCP mode is used. Otherwise, phone will switch to SIP mode.