Views
Helpful
Replies

Silent Hours SPA504G

pakozdibea
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is it possible to automatize the ringer volume in SPA504G?

I would reduce the ringer volume every night, but right now, I must decrease it manually.

I wouldn't like to use DND, I would let it ring, just more quietly.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can use provisioning to change volume. It's up to provisioning server to send whatever configuration you wish to phone - and provisioning can be done periodically. thus it's possible to set one volume during day and another on night.

Moreover, PBX can order particular type (but not volume) of ring during call setup. We learned our PBX to support "silent ring". When such feature is turned on for particular phone, the PBX order special type of ring - the ring with no sound at all. Thus volume doesn't matter. Incoming call is signaled by LEDs only.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can use provisioning to change volume. It's up to provisioning server to send whatever configuration you wish to phone - and provisioning can be done periodically. thus it's possible to set one volume during day and another on night.

Moreover, PBX can order particular type (but not volume) of ring during call setup. We learned our PBX to support "silent ring". When such feature is turned on for particular phone, the PBX order special type of ring - the ring with no sound at all. Thus volume doesn't matter. Incoming call is signaled by LEDs only.

Does it mean that the appliance (Cisco SPA504G) doesn't support such feature by itself?

I took a look at the provisioning tab, but I didn't see any relevant there.

Thank you for your answer, btw!

SPA504G is just phone. It's expected to be driven by either call manager or PBX.

I took a look at the provisioning tab, but I didn't see any relevant there.

It sounds like a sort of misunderstanding. Do you understand what's provisioning is and how it configure the phone ? What "something relevant" you are wishing to discover ?

I hoped that I can set things up in the phone because I only have access to the phone.

Nevertheless, silent ringtone idea is great!

Thank you for your answer.

I hoped that I can set things up in the phone because I only have access to the phone.

Phone can do nothing like scheduled scripts.

Well, even if you have access to no call manager/PBX/provisioning server, something can be done by CTI interface, but it's not designed for the purpose you are speaking of, it's unreliable and it require you can create (compose and compile) your own network application that will handle such task.

I was wondering if ringer volume can be set via scripts into Programmable Softkeys.

I would extend the Idle Key List with 'Daytime' and 'Nighttime' entries if it were possible.

Yes, ...

... and no.

It is possible, but I suspect you will consider my solutions "no solution" for you.

Solution 1

As claimed before, PBX can order specific ring style for particular call.  SO PBX may order phone to fire "silent ring". We implemented NORNG feature on our PBX and we assigned FAC to it. User can dial code to enable/disable NORNG feature.

Of course, dialing of such code can be configured as Speed Dial feature. Read Programming softkeys on SPA phones for more.

It's reliable method, but it require support from PBX's side.

Solution 2

You may use fnc=xml to invoke remote XSI script. Such script may simulate user pressing sequence of keys. Thus you may simulate the sequence that change the volume.

It require no PBX support (it require server supplying XSI scripts instead), but it's unreliable - you can order fixed sequence of keys only, but phone may not be in the initial state you assumed. Volume Up/Down key change ringer volume when phone's on hook, but same keys are changing volume od handset/headset while on hook. Moreover, you will not know the phone's current volume ...

While solution 1 is verified to be working (we are using it), the solution 2 is theoretical, based on my knowledge of XSI scripting language. Thus there may be an issue I didn't mentioned yet.

Thank you so much for your detailed answer! :)