Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP Generic SIP Provider "upstream bandwidth"

support
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

On the UC320W in the "Ports and Trunks"\"SIP/BRI Trunks" section I have noted that when you change the "Call Capacity" the screen indicates a percentage of bandwidth.  For example one line is 13% of WAN upstream bandwidth. 

Does the UC320W actually reserve this bandwidth for calls?  If so is it always reserved or do the calls just get priority over that bandwidth, and how does it claim the bandwidth back?  If it does reserve the bandwidth in this way it is a good feature, but I suspect it may just be letting you know what it would need to work well, but I would like some clarification.

Tony

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The Bandwidth is not exactly reserved as such, but rather the QoS implementation in the UC300 ensures that voice traffic goes into a strict priority queue and will go out ahead of any data traffic.  If there is less than the maximum number of calls in progress, then the unused bandwidth is available for data traffic.  This is all handled dynamically by the queuing engine.

As far as 'reserving' bandwidth goes, setting the call count limits the number of calls that can be set up in order to be sure you don't overrun the available bandwidth.

Hope that helps clear things up.

Cheers,

Dave.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

support
Level 1
Level 1

Is nobody up for answering this?

The Bandwidth is not exactly reserved as such, but rather the QoS implementation in the UC300 ensures that voice traffic goes into a strict priority queue and will go out ahead of any data traffic.  If there is less than the maximum number of calls in progress, then the unused bandwidth is available for data traffic.  This is all handled dynamically by the queuing engine.

As far as 'reserving' bandwidth goes, setting the call count limits the number of calls that can be set up in order to be sure you don't overrun the available bandwidth.

Hope that helps clear things up.

Cheers,

Dave.