cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SOS recovery - Status LED NOT blinking

chelseases
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to recover a SPA502G that was working OK before an attempted firmware upgrade. The recovery.exe (V7.4.4 and V7.5.2b) says "Before proceeding, please confirm that the SPA's Status LED is blinking repeatedly..."

My status LEDs do not blink. They are solid red, green and green. Attempts to recover fail with "Cannot find the specified device" for both the serial number and the 12 F's. The recovery.exe says if I don't have a blinking SOS the I should "restart this utility and select the [Upgrade Firmware] option" which also doesn't work. I tried the IP address the phone used to have and it also fails with "Can't connect to SPA".

What should I do if the SPA's Status LED is NOT blinking?

6 Replies 6

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Well, why you think you should do the SOS recovery procedure ? Is there a "SOS Recovery Mode" message on display ? 

See also:  SPA508G in SOS PhoneInRecoveryMode

The phone has the S.O.S PhoneInRecoveryMode message on its display but nothing is happening.

Dan, your excellent instructions say "When the phone is trying to access the “last upgrade URL”, it will not be able to handle a recovery request from the PC. Once the phone gives up, you will be able to successfully use the recovery utility".

How can we tell that the phone has given up trying to access the “last upgrade URL”? Is that when the Status LED starts blinking?

You need to catch the packets on the wire ...

For SOS recovery, the multicast connectivity between the PC and phone is required. Also TFTP traffic needs to be passed successfully.  Read S.O.S Firmware Recovery Protocol Specification if interested to know all details.

Verify the phone has network link.

Can you catch the packets on the wire ?

Note I'm outdoor, so I'm unable to respond online most the time.

I haven't set up a sniffer to catch the packets yet. I wanted to know if the Status Led blinking was a requirement as stated by the recovery programs. If the phone must be blinking and my doesn't then I assumed there was little point looking for packets.

I have read your Recovery Protocol Specification and everything I can find, and have done everything short of setting up a network sniffer, so I was hoping to to check the importance of blinking LEDs or other signs to know whether I should go looking for packets.

Despite I did SOS Recovery several times, I never checked the LEDs nor I remember it's activity. Now I'm outdoor, with no access to my lab, so I can't test it for you. May be someone else will respond. Sorry.