cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA 122 admin password reset

Ed Jennings
Level 1
Level 1

I purchased a Cisco SPA122 ATA device from a third party vendor (NewEgg) on 3/3/13, had it provisioned by my VoIP provider (RingCentral) last week.  Yesterday I had an issue that required logging into the config page of the SPA122 and apparently lost the admin password.  Neither RingCentral nor I can gain access.

Three questions:
1) how do I reset the admin password on my SPA122
2) will upgrading f/w reset the admin password
3) will upgrading the f/w require re-provisioning?

I am trying to get around the factory default reset which I know will require re-provisioning.  I tried to contact Cisco support via online chat, but got no response.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Ed,

Can you please mark this thread as solved and start a new thread related to the dialing question? This will help other folk with similar problems easily locate relevant help with a search engine.

Thanks,

Patrick---

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ed,

If the device has been "properly" locked down and the reset button disabled, there's no way to get back into the device. You've now got a cool paper weight. However, most ATAs are not properly locked down, so you may be in luck.

Before trying the following steps, make sure that your computer is attached to the LAN/Ethernet port, not the WAN/Internet port because a factory defaulted SPA122 will not let you access via the WAN port without some configuration.

To answer your specific questions:

1a. If the device was configured by a provisioning server, change the password on the provisioning server, connect the ATA to the network and power cycle it. It will pull its password and you'll be able to log in.

1b. Try configure the ATA: set up a DHCP server with OPTION 66. Write a  simple configuration file containing a known password. Connect the ATA  to the network and power it on. If all works well and the ATA wasn't  fully locked down, the ATA may pull the configuration file and load the  known password.

1c. Run Wireshark on the network, power up the ATA and using Wireshark, determine what files the ATA is provisioned to look for. Make files available with a known password and try again.

1d. Force a factory reset: Power on the ATA, wait about 5 minutes for it to settle down, push and hold the reset button for 10 seconds (I always use 20 seconds just to be sure)Note: this will not work if the ATA is busy booting or has the reset button administratively disabled.

2. No

3. No

Best of luck,

Patrick---

Use this reference document to locate SPA ATA resources

Thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately, I am not an IT person.... I am a businessman with a fair amount of PC savvy, but unable to do all the things in your suggestions 1a - 1c, so I did the operation in 1d.  I reset the device to factory default, logged in with the default password, and upgraded the f/w.

I called my VoIP provisioner prior, but they refused to provision my device because I did not buy it from them.  I had made screen shots of all pages of the configuration prior to this issue, but the problem is that the pages were from the former f/w and a little confused with some of the new f/w input requirements.

I will make an attempt to manually provision this device, but if I fail, I will return the unit for a refund and find another VoIP provider.

Ed,

I'm glad you were able to get into your ATA. Once you sign up with a VoIP provider, they'll provide you with a username, password, SIP proxy, and phone number.

Use a browser on a computer connected to the LAN/Ethernet port and access the http://192.168.15.1 URL. Log into your SPA122 as admin/admin and you'll see the quick setup page. Plug the information in from your VoIP provider, click Submit, and you're set. Make sure to change the default password too.

Regards,

Patrick---

Well, I made a good attempt at manually provisioning my Cisco SPA122, but had to call RingCentral tech support when I got no dial tone.  They registered the number and made a few tweaks and "Wallah"-- it works.

But now I am back to square one with the original issue:  When I attempt to make an outbound call using 7 digit dialing, it randomly inserts some other area code than mine.  Although I have set the 7 digit dialing feature in the online RingCentral settings to my area code, it works only for my Cisco SPA303 which is on another digital subscriber line, but it does not do this for my SPA122 analog phone.

RingCentral spent several hours trying to troubleshoot this issue and in the final analysis say they think the "7 digit dialing" feature is not set in the SPA122, but no one knows where this feature should be found and told me I had to contact Cisco for this information.  Can you help?

Hi Ed,

Can you please mark this thread as solved and start a new thread related to the dialing question? This will help other folk with similar problems easily locate relevant help with a search engine.

Thanks,

Patrick---