Views
Helpful
Replies

Spa 303 telnet login

mrcbis_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello sirs,

I would like to control a Spa 303 ip phone using the cli access. The reason is that I should emulate keystroke using a tcp/ip connection from a linux pc running a sw I am writing. In particular I should be able to do "off hook, on hook, and transfer a call to another ip phone" issuig keystroke to the terminal. If I correctly understood, it looks like I could be able to do this using the cli. When I connect to the phone cli, however, I get a "connection refused" and I am not able to login to the cli. How can I connect to the cli of the phone ? What is the default port to do this ?

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards.

Marco Bisio

3 Replies 3

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I will not claim it impossible. Firmware with telnet access exists, but just for firmware develoment team. It's not available for customers. If you have large budget and you are ready to buy a lot of phones, ask Cisco sales - may be they will be willing to sell you such feature.

Otherwise, there's no CLI interface for you at all. Moreover, I suspect CLI will not help you. Even CLI access doesn't mean you can cheat running Voice Application to thing a key has been pressed.

You can use XML Service (CiscoIPPhoneExecute->ExecuteItem->URL="Key:...") script triggered by SIP NOTIFY/event XML Service. But it's one way - you know no current state of phone, so sending keys is just blind shot. Moreover, no key, even simulated, can pick handset from cradle.

Unfortunately, you considered to keep overall goal secret, so I can't advise workarounds - if there are some.

I apologize for the misunderstanding, I try to explain the application I am
working on.
I am writing an application that will manage real time event coming from a
distributed network of sensors. When such a sensor declare an alarm, an
operator should call (phone call) the person that is responsible of
phisically manage the alarm. The call will run through the UI I am writing.
So, the operator click a button on the UI and the call start. This is done
controlling the pabx with the server running the application. The operator
interacts with a SoftPhone client using headphones: The customer does not
like the operator should interacts with the window of the softphone, nor
with a ip telephone set. Only the headphones is allowed. The idea should be
that, if it could be possible to simulate the phone keyboard, I could be
able to issue to the phone the commands to phisically perform some
operation, such as off hook, on hook, transfer the call. As an example:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7960g_7940g/sip/3_0/english/administration/guide/ver3_0/maintain.html

as an example have a look at table 3-7; so I need a solution to completely
control a phone (soft or hard phone) using tcp ip connection. The operator
should only have the headphones and mic and interact with the UI I am
developing.
This is the rason of my request.
Hope to have clarified a bit the application.
Thank you for your help.
Regards.
Marco Bisio

You referenced documentation of Cisco IP Phone 7940/7960, but original question mentioned SPA303. SPA303 is Small Business product while 7940/60 is enterprise. Both product speak SIP, but otherwise they are rather dissimilar.

This community is bor Small Business things and I', not fammiliar with 7940/60 so I will speak about SPA303 only. As I mentioned, XML services triggered by SIP NOTIFY can be used to simulate key presses. I described drawbacks of such method as well. 

As alternative, if your PBX is flexible enough, you can setup both ends of call from it - in first step PBX will call operator and once operator answers, it will continue calling other end. 

Or, SPA303 can be configured to do "automatic dialing" - once phone go off hook it will dial fixed number. It's PBX job to connect such call to appropriate target.