cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA-3102 incoming Caller's ID (CLI) truncates last digit when the phone number is Longer.

Hi Team

As per the subject, when the caller's number is Longer (i.e. International call with Country code etc..) like 11 digits, it truncates the Last digit of the incoming phone number. See attached image. Full number is 60126140235, but it looses the last digit which is 5. Any suggestions ?

Also there is comma ( , ) in front of the Number which eats up the valuable space. How to elimiante this ???

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

FXO:Start CNDD
fxo cnddwrap_feed parse ok 0060126140  status=2
-- Caller ID:
--     Name             = (null)
--     Remote Number    = 0060126140
--     Dialable Number  = (null)
--     No Number Reason = (null)
--     No Name Reason   = (null)
--     Message Waiting  = (null)
--     Date and Time    = 07/22 18:06
FXO:CNDD name=, number=0060126140
FXO:Stop CNDD
FXO:CNDD Name= Phone=0060126140

According the log you provided, the callers number has been claimed 0060126140.

The maximum supported length of number in E.164 format is 12 digits including the country code. The SPA know no format of caller's number used, so it has no reason to truncate it to 10 digits - I assume it support 12 digit E.164 number AT LEAST.

As the number seems to be broken on operators side (superfluous 00 as prefix, truncated to 10 digits) there is nothing you can to with it on SPA side. We can't guess digits not sent by operator to you ...

I can partially explain what's happening even on operators side (although I'm guessing only) - I assume we are speaking about two-digit-country-code country, thus 10 digits is maximum length of national number. It seems your operator consider the number to be national number and truncate them to 10 digits on their side.

View solution in original post

I have installation in about 10 countries on the world (this week I'm installing switch in Turkey, for example) - so I have some international experience with telecommunications. So I can claim there are two most common formats of numbers used.

1. The national format - e.g. numbers is presented in the same form as called user should dial them back (if they wish to call back). In your particular case it mean 10 digits local number if caller come from same country and 00CCXXX.... for foreign caller (I assume your's country use 00 prefix for international calls). Note that foreign caller number including 00 may be up to 14 digits long. Some countries doesn't follow ITU recommentation so they may be even longer (I know some German numbers that will be 15 digits long).

2. E.164 format - all numbers are presented is E.164 format - e.g. CCXXXXX (where C stands for country code). No 00 or so prefix is presented. Origin of caller doesn't affect format of number.

Even I claimed those two formats as "most common", the [1] is far more common format on operator-to-end-user links. The [2] is used on operator-operator links (especially if it is international partnership).

I assume your operator is trying to provide  CallerID number to you in national format. But there's something wrong - the 00 is prepended to number like it has been misconsidered to be in E.164 format. Then the number is truncated to 10 digits like national number coming from local caller should be.

But note that your PSTN operator may not be guilty, unless the caller is calling from their network. Otherwise he got caller id from other network and the number may be proken on arrival. Although it's not so common, those interoperability issues are not rare. Especially if the call arrive from a SIP operator. Not counting intentional manipulation - for example I can call you using any caller ID according my wishes. Even some mad wishes, if I decide I wish to do ;-)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Also see some additional Image & a Syslog trace result.

Noticed sometimes it picks the CLI with leading 2 Zeros ( 00 ) on IDD calls & due to that it truncates more digits from the latter part of the number.

FXO:Start CNDD
fxo cnddwrap_feed parse ok 0060126140  status=2
-- Caller ID:
--     Name             = (null)
--     Remote Number    = 0060126140
--     Dialable Number  = (null)
--     No Number Reason = (null)
--     No Name Reason   = (null)
--     Message Waiting  = (null)
--     Date and Time    = 07/22 18:06
FXO:CNDD name=, number=0060126140
FXO:Stop CNDD
FXO:CNDD Name= Phone=0060126140

According the log you provided, the callers number has been claimed 0060126140.

The maximum supported length of number in E.164 format is 12 digits including the country code. The SPA know no format of caller's number used, so it has no reason to truncate it to 10 digits - I assume it support 12 digit E.164 number AT LEAST.

As the number seems to be broken on operators side (superfluous 00 as prefix, truncated to 10 digits) there is nothing you can to with it on SPA side. We can't guess digits not sent by operator to you ...

I can partially explain what's happening even on operators side (although I'm guessing only) - I assume we are speaking about two-digit-country-code country, thus 10 digits is maximum length of national number. It seems your operator consider the number to be national number and truncate them to 10 digits on their side.

Hi Dan

Yes you are right, I tried to another Local PSTN number. As you say local operator truncates to a 10 Digit. Yes locally all the numbers are having only 10 digits. In that case IDD numbers also shows only 10 digits pathetically. I don't know why they setup like that. But when I call to a GSM / Mobile number it picks the total number of digits from any IDD number.

Looks like no solution for PSTN number CLI truncation of 10 digits. :(

I have installation in about 10 countries on the world (this week I'm installing switch in Turkey, for example) - so I have some international experience with telecommunications. So I can claim there are two most common formats of numbers used.

1. The national format - e.g. numbers is presented in the same form as called user should dial them back (if they wish to call back). In your particular case it mean 10 digits local number if caller come from same country and 00CCXXX.... for foreign caller (I assume your's country use 00 prefix for international calls). Note that foreign caller number including 00 may be up to 14 digits long. Some countries doesn't follow ITU recommentation so they may be even longer (I know some German numbers that will be 15 digits long).

2. E.164 format - all numbers are presented is E.164 format - e.g. CCXXXXX (where C stands for country code). No 00 or so prefix is presented. Origin of caller doesn't affect format of number.

Even I claimed those two formats as "most common", the [1] is far more common format on operator-to-end-user links. The [2] is used on operator-operator links (especially if it is international partnership).

I assume your operator is trying to provide  CallerID number to you in national format. But there's something wrong - the 00 is prepended to number like it has been misconsidered to be in E.164 format. Then the number is truncated to 10 digits like national number coming from local caller should be.

But note that your PSTN operator may not be guilty, unless the caller is calling from their network. Otherwise he got caller id from other network and the number may be proken on arrival. Although it's not so common, those interoperability issues are not rare. Especially if the call arrive from a SIP operator. Not counting intentional manipulation - for example I can call you using any caller ID according my wishes. Even some mad wishes, if I decide I wish to do ;-)