cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA112 ATA - 'Off hook' issue

mcibud001
Level 1
Level 1

On 5/2/16 a lightning strike destroyed our existing modem incorporating VOIP. We replaced the modem with a D-Link DSL-2880AL modem router that did not have VOIP.

So we purchased a Linksys PAP2T-NA analogue telephone adaptor (ATA) and connected our Uniden XDECT 6135 BTU+2 cordless phone system to it. This ATA 'registered' with the VoIP provider but as the ‘Hook State’ remained ‘Off’ there was no dial tone and we were unable to make or receive VoIP calls.

We tried an older cable phone but the ‘Hook State’ still remained ‘Off’. I tested both phones on PSTN - both made outgoing calls satisfactorily. Both phones are set to tone dialling. So the problem appears unrelated to either of the analogue phones.

Suspecting the PAP2T-NA must be faulty we then purchased a Cisco SPA100 ATA. As before this ATA 'registered' with the VoIP provider, but as before the ‘Hook State’ remained ‘Off’. There was still no dial tone and we were unable to make or receive VoIP calls.

So I downloaded X-Lite softphone - it worked without a hitch. But we really would like the cordless phone system up and running again.

For both ATAs, the System and Internet LEDs are solid green.

For both ATAs, the LED for Line 1 flashes green when the telephone cable is plugged in - it turns solid green when the phone cable is removed.

If I disconnect and then reconnect the phone cable to either of the ATAs I get:

•           a continuous tone on the phone for ~ 10 seconds;
  •           which then changes to an intermittent tone for ~ 10 seconds (sounds like an engaged tone);
  •           and finishes with a faster intermittent tone for ~ 10 seconds;
  •           then just silence.

What can we try to alter the ‘Hook State’ to ‘On’ and get a dial tone so that we can make and receive VOIP calls?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Disconnect phone. l Hook state must claim 'On'. Short 'Tip' and 'Ring' contact of Phone N connector (don't hesitate, it will not harm your device).

Works as described ? You verified the PAP2T or SPA112 (whatever device you tested) is not broken. At least hook state detection circuit.

If I disconnect and then reconnect the phone cable to either of the ATAs I get: ....

You got common dialing sequence. You connected the phone and went off-hook (you didn't mentioned it, but I anticipate it you will not hear all those tones unless off hook). Contiguous tone is default dial tone - ATA has been ready to collect digits from you. You dialed no one, so timeout occurred. Device is no longer ready to dial, busy (engaged) tone claim it. You should hang up, but you didn't. Another timeout occurred. Device assumes your fault (handset misplaced in the craddle, for example) and use fast busy tone to announce such condition to you. Finaly, even time for such tone is over. There's nothing more to play - so just silence until phone go on hook.

I see no issue here. Phone doesn't play sounds if on hook regardless the ATA fire them to the wire. As you described all those tones, it seems your phone has been off hook all the times. I'm not familiar with XDECT 6135 so I don't know how to put them on hook, but I assume there will be casual button with red phone shown on it. It should put phone on hook.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

SPA endpoints are covered in the SMB community

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Disconnect phone. l Hook state must claim 'On'. Short 'Tip' and 'Ring' contact of Phone N connector (don't hesitate, it will not harm your device).

Works as described ? You verified the PAP2T or SPA112 (whatever device you tested) is not broken. At least hook state detection circuit.

If I disconnect and then reconnect the phone cable to either of the ATAs I get: ....

You got common dialing sequence. You connected the phone and went off-hook (you didn't mentioned it, but I anticipate it you will not hear all those tones unless off hook). Contiguous tone is default dial tone - ATA has been ready to collect digits from you. You dialed no one, so timeout occurred. Device is no longer ready to dial, busy (engaged) tone claim it. You should hang up, but you didn't. Another timeout occurred. Device assumes your fault (handset misplaced in the craddle, for example) and use fast busy tone to announce such condition to you. Finaly, even time for such tone is over. There's nothing more to play - so just silence until phone go on hook.

I see no issue here. Phone doesn't play sounds if on hook regardless the ATA fire them to the wire. As you described all those tones, it seems your phone has been off hook all the times. I'm not familiar with XDECT 6135 so I don't know how to put them on hook, but I assume there will be casual button with red phone shown on it. It should put phone on hook.