Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA112 woes

higrader
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings, my first post....

This has been ongoing for a long time. My voip.ms CustService has done everything for me since Nov 2016, and says only Cisco can help.

2 Issues

1 - Hollow / tunnel echo-y voice on my end only - receiving end has good deception. After factory reset, works OK for a day or two, then deteriorates to the point sometimes when I receive a call, I need to call back to get decent voice.

2 - ATA will not automatically re-register the lines. I don't have a clue what causes it to unregister, but this is an intermittent issue. Sometimes 1 line dead, mostly both lines dead. Sometimes good to go for a month or more, other times both lines go dead daily, most times, only a power re-boot of the Modem will reset the ata.

I have upgraded to firmware 1.14.0 a long time back and still...

I have configured to voip.ms configuration settings -    https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Cisco_SPA112

I have factory reset and reconfigured to above settings being told to be especially careful to set Nat Map = yes, Natkeep alive = yes, Reg Exp = 300, Proxy fall back =300,

I've tried ports 5060/61, 5080/81

I've tried another of their servers - same thing

Used a softphone / tablet zoiper via my router and system works great / sound is great (wish my ata sounded and worked as fast!)

My voip is outta ideas any help would be appreciated.

denis

4 Replies 4

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

According local echo - it may be either local analog line (between SPA112 and analog phone) issue or digital stream (between SPA112 and upstream PBX) issue. You need to distinguish those cases. Capture RTP (audio) stream of affected call (both direction) and play both recorded streams on your PC. If there will be echo, it's digital stream issue, otherwise it's either local line issue or SPA112 internal processing issue.

According registration - issues like this one are mostly related to NAT and/or statefull firewall between SPA112 and upstream SIP device. Turn on syslog and debug messages of Voice Application and catch them Catch all SIP messages as well. You will have the data to analyze once issue will strike again.

make sure you have RTP packet size configured correctly. Aso not there is no firmware 1.14.0 you mentioned. The current firmware for SPA112 is 1.4.1 SR1

Dan
will digest, try recs and reply asap
btw upgraded firmware was 1.4.0
thanks

OK I figured that by using my tablet I get a clear connection, the inbound
lines to my modem are good.
I connected my wireless phones directly to the ATA and still get echos so
my lines in-house are ok also.
As has happened before, it works ok for a few hours when I try different
things but screws up eventually.
The other issue not addressed was the fact that when the ATA gets
unregistered, it cannot re-register itself. I must reboot the modem,ATA for
that to happen.
We're gone for three weeks, will try whatever then.
Thanks
Denis

when the ATA gets unregistered, it cannot re-register itself. I must reboot the modem,ATA for that to happen.

Those issues are caused by either NAT or statefull firewall most of time. Unfortunately, with no Voice Application log recorded and no SIP packets captured it just hypothesis.

According echo - the tablet may use different codec than SPA112 and different results may be caused by it. It may disclose you what codec you should use to solve it. Unfortunately, we know no detail  related to neither SPA112 calls nor tablet call, thus I'm just guessing. It hard to debug issue with no syslog/debug disclosed and no SIP packets captured.