Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA232D Call Forwarding

Can anyone recommend a guide for using the ATA to accept calls from PSTN number and forward them via SIP to a different number?

Is it possible to easily switch this forwarding setup off/on.

Thank you.  Fred

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I am not that knowledgeable about the SPA232D, however it appears in many respects to be similiar to the SPA3102 which was an adapter that preceeded the SPA232D and which I am more familiar. I did not find a guide to the FXO port settings other than the SPA232D Administration Guide which has a fairly detailed description of the various settings.

Call forwarding an incoming PSTN line call to a number over your voip network should be fairly straight forward. Assuming the SPA232D works like the SPA3102 you setup a dial plan with your forward-to number and specify the voip account to make the call. There are some settings that affect any delay you wish before answering the call.

The PSTN Tab has a section to setup a voip account. You can use this account for the forwarding or use a gateway account you setup on the Line 1 Tab.

The key settings would be
PSTN-To-VoIP Gateway Enable: Yes
PSTN Ring Thru Line 1: No (Unless you want the phone attached to the SPA232D to ring before you call forward)
PSTN Caller Default DP: N (where N = the dial plan number you setup with the call forward number)
PSTN Answer Delay: N (number of seconds answer delay to capture the incoming caller id if you want to use it)

Dial Plan N(1-8): Setup one of the 8 dial plans that you have specified as the PSTN Caller Default DP for the forwarding number.For Example: (S0<:15101231234>)
Where S0 (S zero) means dial immediately 15101231234 on the VoIP account setup on the PSTN Line Tab
To use a gateway account setup on the Line1 tab instead of the VoIP account setup on the PSTN Line Tab you would add @gw2 to use gateway 2

For your question about enable/disabling the forwarding I believe you would need to change the configuration, i.e. disable the PSTN-to-VoIP Gateway setting.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

I am not that knowledgeable about the SPA232D, however it appears in many respects to be similiar to the SPA3102 which was an adapter that preceeded the SPA232D and which I am more familiar. I did not find a guide to the FXO port settings other than the SPA232D Administration Guide which has a fairly detailed description of the various settings.

Call forwarding an incoming PSTN line call to a number over your voip network should be fairly straight forward. Assuming the SPA232D works like the SPA3102 you setup a dial plan with your forward-to number and specify the voip account to make the call. There are some settings that affect any delay you wish before answering the call.

The PSTN Tab has a section to setup a voip account. You can use this account for the forwarding or use a gateway account you setup on the Line 1 Tab.

The key settings would be
PSTN-To-VoIP Gateway Enable: Yes
PSTN Ring Thru Line 1: No (Unless you want the phone attached to the SPA232D to ring before you call forward)
PSTN Caller Default DP: N (where N = the dial plan number you setup with the call forward number)
PSTN Answer Delay: N (number of seconds answer delay to capture the incoming caller id if you want to use it)

Dial Plan N(1-8): Setup one of the 8 dial plans that you have specified as the PSTN Caller Default DP for the forwarding number.For Example: (S0<:15101231234>)
Where S0 (S zero) means dial immediately 15101231234 on the VoIP account setup on the PSTN Line Tab
To use a gateway account setup on the Line1 tab instead of the VoIP account setup on the PSTN Line Tab you would add @gw2 to use gateway 2

For your question about enable/disabling the forwarding I believe you would need to change the configuration, i.e. disable the PSTN-to-VoIP Gateway setting.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write that detailed answer. I have tried it and it seems to work well.

Regards, Fred

The setup above enables call forwarding and it does forward calls as they are received...except the caller ID info is not forwarded. The info on the receiving end device just says “No caller ID”.

This is despite the fact that the inbound caller ID is received by the ATA and the PSTN CID for VOIP CID selected to Yes. Is there something that I’m missing?

Thank you in advance.

Fred

When you are using a voip provider to terminate your outgoing call I believe the caller id presented with the call is controlled by the voip provider based on your account.

When you make the setting PSTN CID for VOIP CID I am not sure exactly what element the adapter inserts into your outgoing Sip INVITE, however it is up to the voip provider to recognize it and take appropriate action. I do not believe most voip providers will do that.

FredThompson0340 

As you mentioned, having the incoming caller id on a forwarded call is desirable. I was able to configure my SPA3102 PSTN to VoIP gateway to forward an incoming PSTN line call along with the incoming caller id to my mobile phone by sending the call from the SPA to my voip provider's virtual DID which was routed to my mobile phone.  This is, of course, a more complicated solution and a little more pricey than sending it directly from the SPA.

You need to configure the SPA "PSTN Caller ID For VoIP CID = yes", you need to set the dial plan to send the call as a sip uri, and (on the Line Tab) "Enable IP Dialing". The voip provider, of course, needs to allow receipt of incoming sip uri calls and have routing options for the DID. As you know the SPA232D is similiar in many respects to the SPA3102 and I assume it would work in a similiar manner.

Thank you Howard. I will try that out.

Regards, Fred