cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA232D

longjohn66
Level 1
Level 1
Can I use two SPA232D devices on my local network to send a regular voice telephone line from one to the other?
10 Replies 10

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Unsure about topology you wish for. Can you explain expected call flows in more details ?

Hi Dan-I have a location in our plant that has a network connection that is not being used. I need a standard phone line there. It looks like the SPA232D might be able to do this, but unsure of how. I would like to put one in my Telco/Network closet and plug the active phone line into it then put it on our local network. At the other end I would put another SPA hooked to the network and also hooked to a standard telephone deskset. Is this possible? Thanks

The SPA232D is not designed for such kind of task, but it may be possible. I can't provide final answer. If you have two SPA232D then try it. In such case the following thread may help you

PSTN line from SPA3102 to PAP2T

If you have no SPA232D yet then consider to use SPA112+SPA122 (they are cheaper).

But one very important question - you claimed you have unused network connection from A to B. Is it straight network cable (e.g. no switch/router on the path) ? In such case I may have far better advice to you ...

Ok-thanks Dan. I do have an unused network connection between the two locations. What is your advice. Thanks

You didn't responded the question. I asked whats the unused network connection you have in details. Is it metal wire network cable with no active elements like switches/routes on the path ?

Yes Dan-it is an open cat5 run without any network devices on it. I thought about robbing a pair out of it to just run the telephone line across it, but if they ever want a computer there on the network I will be back to square one. Just looking for options. Thanks-John

If 100BaseT/no POE is enough then there are two pairs of wires unused inside of CAT5 cable so you can cable for both purposes at the same time. It violate CAT5 specification, of course, but it works in most of cases.

Well, if you are enumerating solutions - you may try to use two SPA232D, but I can't tell you it will work or not.

It is verified the PSTN line from SPA3102 to PAP2T can work so you should consider this solution instead of it. Note the PAP2T is no longer available, but SPA112 or SPA232D (if you wish for DECT handsets) should be acceptable replacement.

Note the EOL/EOS has been announced for SPA232D. Thus it is no longer solution ...

Dan-thanks for the help. I have changed my approach to my problem. I want to use a wireless point to point to get phone to the remote building. I have the SPA232 and a PAP2 that I have set up in the shop and am trying to make that work. I just have a crossover cable from the internet port of one tied to the internet port of the other. It will be on its ip range so that I have the PAP2 as 192.168.1.101 and the SPA as 192.168.1.100. I have looked through the forum posts you pointed me to, but haven't had any luck making this work. Calling from a landline to the number I have tied to the SPA just rings with no answer. I get a stutter ringtone on the phone hooked to the PAP(four short off hook tones then steady dial tone). When I dial a seven digit number from the phone on the PAP(hooked to line 1) there is a short pause then I get a busy signal. Could you take a look at my configs to see what I have missed?

Well, I may be unable to identify issue from just configu file. Can you turn on syslog&debug messages on both devices, capture them during a call and disclose for analysis ?