cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

spa303 ManufTest - how to leave this mode?

akochmann
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to all,

hope anyone can help.

I've got a spa303 2. hand. After starting it first time the phone runs in a mode where I can check the lamps, handset, speaker, etc..

In the display is written "ManufTest  303"

In the WEB GUI it shows:

Software Version:        3.0.2(MAN0409)

Hardware Version:        0.1.0(manuf)

Serial Number:        00000000000000

I searched but with no result and tried many things (factory reset, upgrading, restoring FW, ...) but it keeps always starting in this mode.

Is there any documentation about this mode and how to get the phone back to normal operation?

Thanks for any help.

André

3 Replies 3

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Now you know why someone sold such unit.

Unfortunately, there is no documentation related to such mode as far as I know. In advance, no one but you and one russian guy has been affected by issue like it so far. And no one found solution.

So what we can do now ? You have access to WEB GUI, so the device have network connectivity. So it should be syslog&debug capable. Let enable syslog&debug (highest level) messages, configure syslog server on a computer (there are some even for Windows) and catch all messages issued during phone's boot. It may or may not reveal something important. I'm very interested to see this kind of log.

In the meantime, we can guess only. The phone may be in manufacturer's test mode because of:

1. special firmware in it

2. POST failed

3. manufacturers configuration data are damaged or erased

4. ordered by a jumper on motherboard

5. configured by vendor's secret command or specially crafted configuration file

Now about more about the cases.

1. You claimed you replaced firmware in phone successfully, but it changed nothing. So special firmware seems not to be answer.
  2. Phone is broken - a failure has been detected during Power On Self Test causing phone to switch to this special mode. Bootstrap syslog messages may confirm this. In such case there's little you can do with it - the unit is just broken.
  3. I wish there's small area in the flash holding the device specific data - like serial number, device's private RSA key pair and so on. This area is persistent during the overall device's life - it's affected neither by configuration resets nor firmware upgrades. If such area or area content is not found during the boot (e.g. damaged or missing at all), the phone may start in manufacturer's mode. In such case there's little you can do with it. Only vendor know how to personalize particular device. It may be done by software procedure, but it may require the data to be write to the flash by special hardware (via JTAG connector, for example).
  4. There are jumpers on mainboard, but they are open as far as I know - and undocumented. So it all other possibilities become exhausted, you can open the device and play gave with jumpers. It you can inspect other unit of the same kind then compare the jumpers inside.
  5. You are out of luck - if turned on by secret command (or specially crafted configuration file), only secret command (or specially crafted configuration file) will turn it off. I'm almost sure the Cisco will not disclose it to you. I assume the "if in warranty, RMA it - it will be replaced, you are out of luck otherwise" response.

Because of all-zero's serial the [3] is my favorite. But remember - this comment is blind guessing game only.

You may call SMB Support Center and ask for help as well. I count such attempt as "no chance", but it costs almost nothing to try it. But if you wish to make me happy, catch the syslog&debug first, as suggested above ;-)

Hi Dan,

thanks for your fast reply and afford.

Just to correct your point one. I tried to replace the FW but I don't think it was done, since the phone has not shown any reaction.

I'll try to get the syslog & debug informations and post them - might take a few days due to lake of time.

Second I'll call the SMB Support.

What firmware version you tried to flash into phone ?

Lets allow me to explain the background. There are two firmware instances in the phone. The bootstrap one and the standard. The first one is stripped one version of firmware used for the purpose of broken standard firmware recovery. In most case I'm aware of the bootstrap firmware is the 7.4.4 version. Bootstrap firmware is fixed and not affected by firmware upgrade. The standard firmware is subject of upgrade, so it have various version.

If you read firmware Release Notes, you are aware that no pre-7.5.2b firmware can be upgraded to a post-7.5.2b directly. It must be upgraded to 7.5.2b first.

If you will try to upgrade pre-7.5.2b do post-7.5.2b directly, the phone will apparently accept it, but in the fact nothing will happen.

In your particular case we know nothing about the current firmware version. We even don't know the phone is running standard or bootstrap image.

So if you tried to upgrade the phone using a post-7.5.2b version, try again using 7.5.2b or older (but not so much older). It may, or may not, help.

By the way - consider rating of valuable advices. It may help others to found advices/solutions in the future.