cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trying to connect SPA122 for VOIP

aegean888
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am new to VOIP and if I did not search well enough to find an answer, I apologize. I know Google is my friend, but in this case I have not found the answers I am looking for.

Here is my setup:

Cisco SPA122

Apple Airport Extreme Wireless Router

imac 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo

Thomson DCM475 Cable Modem

The imac is on a desk in the kitchen and is out main computer. The Cable modem, SPA122 and Airport Extreme are in the den just beside the kitchen.

I guess my first question is if the SPA122 has to ABSOLUTELY be attched to the computer? Right now I have it attached:

Cable to cable modem

Cable modem to Airport Extremet

Airport Extreme to SPA122

In this configuration, I can not access 192.168.15.1

Please help. Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Zsolt, the initial configuration should be done from the ethernet port of the device. You may enable configuration "over the wan" (internet port) if you choose to do so.

The good news is, the device does not have to be connected to the internet to be able to configure, but if you want to test your registration, then of course, the device needs internet connectivity.

So to shortly answer your question-

Move the SPA where your computer is for convenience sake

Connect computer to ethernet port, log in to the unit, set up the registration and access over the WAN

Save everything, reconnect SPA back to your den area, should have no problems from then on

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Zsolt, the initial configuration should be done from the ethernet port of the device. You may enable configuration "over the wan" (internet port) if you choose to do so.

The good news is, the device does not have to be connected to the internet to be able to configure, but if you want to test your registration, then of course, the device needs internet connectivity.

So to shortly answer your question-

Move the SPA where your computer is for convenience sake

Connect computer to ethernet port, log in to the unit, set up the registration and access over the WAN

Save everything, reconnect SPA back to your den area, should have no problems from then on

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thanks Tom! Worked like a charm and am now making calls from my house line again!! Bye-bye Bell Canada!!