Views
Helpful
Replies

UC 560. Phone reboot. VlanChangedByCDP

mattfuerst
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I've got a mixture of 504 and 501 sets connected to our UC 560. We've been running for about 2 months now, and I've seen this happen twice.

More or less, all of our phones will reboot themselves. I haven't actually heard any complaints from users yet, which means it either respects when they are on the phone and doesn't reboot the phone, or the reboot just hasn't happened (yet) while they are on the phone.

In CCA, I am seeing the following 3 messages for each phone that reboots:

%IPPHONE-6-REG_ALARM: Name=__________ Load=7.4.8a last=Cold+VlanChangedByCDP

%IPPHONE-6-UNREGISTER_ABNORMAL: ephone-14:__________ IP: X.X.X.X Socket: 13 DeviceType:Phone has unregistered abnormally.

%IPPHONE-6-Register: ephone-14:____________ IP: X.X.X.X Socket: 11 DeviceType: Phone has been registered.

As a sidenote, you can't copy and paste out of CCA? Argh! Do I really want to manually type all that out?

The IP address stays the same post reboot.

Any advice on what Cold+VlanChangedByCDP means?

3 Replies 3

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Matt,

Couple of things you need to do and let us know about...

1. What types of switches are you using?
  2. Are the Switches operating on the latest firmware?
  3. Are the phones on the latest firmware?
  4. Are you making any changes within CCA when these resets are done?

If I am not mistaken there is a newer firmware for the phones, but more importantly it would be good to know about the switches... I also wonder if it is a full reload of the phone or just a refresh (Reset) which are generally quick screen refreshes.

Any further info you can provide on this subject would help with the diagnosis.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hey David,

Thanks for your response.

(1) Cisco SR2024CT-NA 24 port 10/100/1000 Unmanaged switches. More or less a generic dumb gigabit switch.

(2) No clue. I assume this answer matters, otherwise you wouldn't have asked. Hopefully this isn't the situation.

(3) The UC 560 is updated to 8.2, and I believe the latest phone profiles were loaded at that time, and pushed down to the phones. My Desk 504G phone is software version 7.4.8a and hardware version 1.0.3.

(4) No copies of CCA are loaded, or changes being done during this reboot.

Can you give me more details on what the  VlanChangedByCDP error code means? What is CDP?

Hi Matt,

Firstly CDP is the "Cisco Discovery Protocol", it is used for seeing/talking to other Cisco Devices and also helps share configuration information, proprietor in nature but pretty good in its capabilities, LLDP I think is the Open Standards equivalent (I may have gotten that acronym wrong ).

Secondly I have a concern wit the SR2024, this is unmanaged and thus has no VLAN management and CDP cannot make any configurations to it to support the network, not a good situation to be in... My Recommendation to you first is to spend a few dollars ($500-700) and purchase a SF/SG-300 Series switch and replace the SR2024, the new SMB pro series switches are cost effective and designed to work in a Cisco Smart Network and they are 100% compatible with the UC-500 series systems, the error you are getting I think is related to the phones not knowing what to do due to them being in that particular switch.

The rest of my questions may be irrelevant for now, I strongly believe if you change the switch so that it is fully VLAN capable and to either the SF-300 or SG-300 you will be back to normal again with no problems.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *