cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unified Messaging with UC520 and Exchange

bjames
Level 5
Level 5

After a lot of trial and error I was able to get my Outlook client  to get IMAP email with message wav file off the CUE system. It does work, but I'd really like an alternative (Like Unity) so I don't have to create a new mailbox on everyone's Outlook.

The documentation does say it's possible to use SMTP to Exchange, but they won't be in sync (notification and deletion), but it doesn't really go into the specifics of the setup. Two questions; is this possible ( and does it work reliably), and is there documentation on how to setup UE to Exchange (03).

Thanks in advance,

Bob

20 Replies 20

Ron,

I really appreciate you jumping in and providing feedback. I understand you must work within the parameters given, but I do believe Cisco (and all vendors for that matter) need to be carefull how the documentation is worded for something like this. True, it is possible, but there are trade-offs. Clients read the magazines or brochures then gets mad at "us" when we implement and have to show them the shortcomings.

That being said, I am getting more and more impressed with the capabilities of the UC500. It's not the enterprise suite, but it's pretty good for SMB's.

I do hope real UC is on the roadmap, and I know mobility and anywhere access is very high in the enterprise priority list, so let's hope with that it gets down to the SMB arena.

Next up: Video and Presence

Cheers

Darryl Tyson
Level 1
Level 1

I would recommend (if possible) to upgrade to Exchange 2007.  Slick Unified Messaging.   Apart from a third party MWI syncronization utility a solid solution.

Regards

Darryl.

Darryl,

I have heard good things about Exchange 07, but the integration issue is the capabilities of the UC520. If you know of a way to integrate with 07 to have real time messaging please post.

Most of the clients we have that would be interested in the UC system(s) are running MS SBS, so Exchange 07 wouldn't be an option. We are looking to evaluate the UC system with SBS 2008 (waiting on a server), and I am interested in seeing if there are any "got ya's".

My plan is also to test: Presence, mobility, IP Communicator, and Video, as I think we need to understand all the capabilites (and lack there of) before offering full-blown solutions to our customers.

Cheers

stfullerton
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to get UC520 integrated to Exchange 2007 UM. Here is what I have done:

NOTE: This MAY NOT be 100% correct in all areas or even best practices but it is working in our environment very nicely.

On Exchange, install the Unified Messaging component:

Then at the Exchange Organization UM level, there will be 4 tabs:

1) UM Dial Plans

Create a dial plan with the "New UM Dial Plan" Wizard

Name: Anything you want

Number of digits in extension numbers:

URI type: Telephone Extension

VoIP Security: Unsecured

2) UM IP Gateways

Create a new UM IP Gateway

Name: UC520

IP Address:

Dial Plan:

3) Go back to UM Dial Plans

Open the dial plan you created look through the tabs. In order for outbound calls to work you have to setup a Dialing Rule Groups. Look at this article for details: http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2007/01/29/432440.aspx

On the UC520:

dial-peer voice 5010 voip

description **** EXCHANGE 2007 UM *****

destination-pattern 450

session protocol sipv2

session target ipv4:

session transport tcp

dtmf-relay rtp-nte

codec g711ulaw

no vad

!

voice translation-profile XFER_TO_UMXCHANGE
translate called 13
!
voice translation-rule 13
rule 1 // /450/
!
dial-peer voice 3009 pots
description UMExchange
translation-profile incoming XFER_TO_UMXCHANGE
incoming called-number
direct-inward-dial
port 0/2/0:23
On the ephone-dn change the call-forward busy and call-forward noan to point to 450
To get the message button on the phone to go to Exchange VM:
telephony-service
voicemail 450

rono711
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Bob,

You have mentioned you can recieve voice mail as a wav file in Outlook express (however sync is an issue- when email rad still it is marked unherd in the IP Phone).

It would be very highly appreciated if you kindly send me any documentation via rono711@hotmail.com or tell me any link about how to setup this voicemail redirection to outlook and then retrieval from there.

I am very new in UC and using Cisco Configuaration Assitant (ver2 ).

I have attached my VM topology diagram here.

My intention is to recive email about voicemail from IP Phone  1 to IP Phone 2. Now first of all I am connecting outlook in LAN environment. So where should I connect Outlook Client Pc in UC 500? Secondly I believe my mail server Ip should be 10.1.1.1, am i correct?

If you have any documentaion, please pass it to me.

Rono

rono711@hotmail.com

It's Exchange and received in Outlook (non-express).

You have two options, setup UE to send an attachment via IMAP or SMTP, we chose SMTP so I could get the email via Activesync on our iPhones.

The downside is you get the light on the phone for messages you already reviewed via email (SMTP). The downside of IMAP is you need to setup another account in your Outlook to pick-up the mail from UE. This setup (IMAP) allows the call waiting light to go out when you review your email, and you can also setup a script to move the IMAP received email into your Outlook account so you can review via phone, but that was a little too much for what we wanted.

All this stuff can be setup via the browser interface of Unity Express website.

I don't have docs handy, but there are documented in this library that covers it.

Bob James