Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Tagging

jordan.hinman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

I was wondering if it was possible to have vlan tagging turned off for voice but turned on for the PC? I can't seem to get it to work that way. It looks like if I want to tag PC traffic I have to tag voice traffic as well. I don't want to have to tag both voice and pc traffic as it makes it difficult to auto provision using DHCP. 

If I have to tag both voice and pc traffic does it work best to setup a vlan just for provisioning to prevent native vlan/voice vlan conflicts? That is looking like the only way to solve this problem but I really don't want to do that. Thanks for the help!

Jordan

2 Replies 2

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Read Configuring Voice VLAN. Despite it describe the configuration from switch side and it mention Cisco phone of different model class, it may help you to understand how it works, thus the possibilities.

As far as I know, there's no choice to enable/disable voice tagging. With Enable VLAN selected, voice packets are just tagged. You can decide to tag or not to tag data packets using "Enable PC Port VLAN tagging" option then. You can't enable just PC Port VLAN tagging unless VLANs are enabled.

I'm not sure I understood your issue in full, but it seems you have a problem with bootstrapping of new (e.g. unconfigured) phone. I wish the CDP may help you. It will deliver information about the VLAN configured on the switch port to the phone, so DHCP should use appropriate VLAN.

Note - I didn't tried it by self. Just guessing. We are not using VLANs and we are not connecting computers trough phone.

Hi Dan,

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Thanks for the thoughts. I'll try setting up the voice vlan and using CDP and see if that helps. Thanks again.

Jordan