cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

800 series router and UC540

robert.watson3
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone installed an 800 series router in front of a UC540 and if so is there anything we should look out for?

3 Replies 3

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Robert,

Plenty of times

Although in 90% of the cases i placed the 800 series in bridge mode and had the UC-500 authenticate the DSL and do all the routing, the downside though is you can only manage the router then via console.

The other way is to make it .1 and make the UC .254 and point all your traffic to it,  a pain in the a** in my opinion to do it that way, but that's just my opinion

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

It is also possible to manage from network a Cisco router set in bridge mode.

On the Cisco router acting as bridge, configure bridge irb, bridge 1 route ip, and a BVI 1 interface with IP address.

On the other router, configure a compatible IP address under the physical interface connected to the bridge.

That works with either PPPoE or bridged RFC, (using again a BVI interface, not atm route-bridge method).

Another method, is to configure subinterfaces with encapsulation dot1q on both routers. These would have an IP address, and do not bridge.

Never seen that method.. will remeber this for the future.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *