Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

extending range

Currently, we are utilizing the uc320w with the add on spa8800 gateway, an esw 24port poe switch, and spa504g phones.  The location for one phone is about 400 feet from the poe switch (moving this is not an option) and the distance exceeds the line capacity.  My initial thought had been to simply add both the WBP54G wireless-g bridge phone adapters and PA100-NA Power Adapters to one of the spa504g phones and run them through our existing wireless infrastructure.  The AP's (proxim ap600's) are plugged into a "dumb" switch located 200 feet from the ESW switch.  After reading the forums, due to the vlanning done on the ESW, this is not going to be a viable option as the phone wouldn't receive IP addressing on the appropriate VLAN.

So...my question...how can I add an additional phone (preferably using the spa504g that I already have and the wbp54g/pa100-na options) to make this work?  My initial thought is to run a secondary line from the ESW to where the "dumb switch" is located then add another "dumb switch" to connect the AP's.  Will this work?  Honestly, I am looking at cost effectiveness for this application rather than the best practice (I know that is an ugly trade-off).

1 Reply 1

Hi Lance,

I'll suggest the best option is to use Ethernet.  Most unmanaged "dumb" switches will pass the 802.1q VLAN headers.  So you could still extend both the voice and the data VLANs out to the distant phone.  To do that I would suggest putting a low cost unmannaged "dumb" switch  some where in your 400 ft run, so you aren't going past 100 meters for the Ethernet standard.  You will need a power adapter for the phone since the PoE won't be bridged by the dumb switch.  This would allow you to have both a PC and phone at the distant location, give you the best voice quality, and network throughput.

The second option is if your APs will allow you to configure a second SSID and support VLANs, then configure the AP to have the same SSID as you configure on the UC320W for voice SSID.  You will also need to make sure the encryption and password are the same on AP and UC320W.  You can then configure the wireless bridge and associate it with the Voice SSID.  In doing this I would strongly discourage using the PC port on the back of the distant phone as it will put data traffic on the voice SSID/VLAN and may cause voice quality problems.  You also need the power adapter in this scenario as well.

Hope this helps.

Chris