cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New FW v2.1.1 CLID Option Problems and Questions

Andy Williams
Level 1
Level 1

I have conducted testing of the new v2.1.1 CLID option that allows a customer with multiple SIP trunk DID's to display different outbound caller ID when the call is placed from a hunt group associated with the DID. I have found that this *only* works when Inbound Calls for the DID are routed directly to the hunt group.

In most cases, my customers want to use the automated attendant for inbound calls, which are then routed to one or more hunt groups. In this configuration, even when checking the new box "Use xxx-yyy-zzzz as the calling line ID" on the Inbound Calls page, outbound calls from the hunt group use the default CLID, not the CLID associated with the hunt group.

Is this there a way around this behavior, or is this the only option at this time?

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Hi Andy,

I'm trying to understand the scenario better.  If ALL of your SIP trunk inbound calls are routed to AA, why would you want to even use dedicated DID numbers for outbound calls?  Only thing I can think of is for accounting reasons. 

The main reason for the new DID feature is to route inbound calls to specific destinations directly, bypassing an operator or AA.

Regards,

Chris

Hello Chris,

The scenario is several of my small business customers that have one main number published. All incoming calls to this number are answered and routed by the AA, including to to different hunt group departments. However, these departments want their outbound calls to show their unique direct dial DID, not the main number.

My customers need is really not an incoming call routing request, but an outgoing call feature. In my case, I am confused why the outbound CLID settings are configured on the Inbound Calls page.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi Andy,

I'm assuming they want the outbound calls to use the huntgroup DID so the PSTN user can return the call to the hunt group DID directly.  All you need to do is associate the non-pilot DID with the associated huntgroup.  Outbound calls from the user will use the huntgroup DID number. 

The AA can still be the target for the pilot DID (main number) and have menu options to reach the individual huntgroups.

The Inbound calls page tells the system how to route the call when it recieves a specific SIP trunk DID as the destination address.  If no specific address is specified it follows the DEFAULT entry routing.  To keep things simple we also use the specified DID, if given, as the OUTBOUND CID if a member of that huntgroup makes an outbound call.

Does that help?

Chris

Hello Chris,

I agree that the system should work as you describe. However, per my original post, considerable testing on my in-house system has revealed that if I configure the Incoming Calls screen to route incoming calls to the AA, which then routes to the single configured Hunt Group, outbound calls from any phone configured in this Hunt Group display the "default" CLID, not the "Use as the calling line ID" option as selected.

If I make the single change to route incoming calls directly to this Hunt Group, then outbound calls from any phone configured in this Hunt Group use the "Use as the calling line ID" option as desired. Is this a bug or a feature?

If it matters, I have 3 SIP DID's provided by Triad Telecom. Two of the DID's follow the default route to a single extension that is not part of the Hunt Group. The third DID routes to the AA which is later routed to the Hunt Group.

Hi Andy,

The system is working as expected.  Here is an example of what you can do:

A business has 3 ficticious DID numbers from their SIP trunk provider:

• 408-555-1000   - Main business number (and default route):  Inbound calls to this number route to AA
  • 408-555-1001  - Sales hunt group:  Inbound calls to this number route to 200 which rings extensions 100 and 101
  • 408-555-1002 - Customer Service hunt group:  Inbound calls to  this number route to 201 which rings extensions 102, 103, 104
  • Executives have extension 105, 106

A customer calls in with new business to the main number and reaches the AA.  The AA transfers the call to 200 which rings 100 and 101.  Unfortunately, they are busy and so the caller leaves a voicemail message.

Sometime later user 100 gets the message and returns the call to the customer.  The number that appears on the customer's caller ID display is 408-555-1001.  If the customer calls the 408-555-1001 number the call hits hunt group 200 which rings extensions 100 and 101.

If the executive on extension 105 makes an outbound call, the PSTN user will see the main number because the default route is associated with the 408-555-1000.

Hope this helps clarify.

Cheers,

Chris

OK, I think I see the difference between your scenario and some of my customer needs. What I am really looking for is more flexibility in configuring outbound caller ID - separating it completely from the inbound routes that may or may not be configured. What is the best way to file this as a feature request?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi Andy,

A detailed use case scenario would definately help.  We do want to keep the GUI intuitive and easy to use.

Thanks,

Chris