cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA504G - After power loss - Ext 1 won't register

tgrimes
Level 1
Level 1

I have had this on 3 different SPA504Gs - all with Firmware 7.6.2d.

On one of them, a factory reset worked to get Ext 1 back working.

On the other two, the factory reset didn't work, but I could register on ext 2, 3, 4

Wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and if there are any other ways of fixing it other than trying the factory reset again.

SPA, 504g, SPA504g, IP Telephony

5 Replies 5

tibij@cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Were the devices connected to a UPS or POE with some form of surge suppression?   I found, albeit painfully, that SIP phones, or other office electronics need to be on a UPS or form of surge suppression without this form of protection it is a bit like driving a car without bumpers or seat belts.  IE:  Things are fine until something goes wrong.  You are fortunate that only 1 device was impacted.  

If you want to troubleshoot.   I have some common assumptions:  When connecting the phone the cisco banner displays and the screen displays various messages about firmware phone connection, dns, settings retrieval, etc.  If any of these fail what is the message that says failed or unable.  If it relates to ethernet or unable to retrieve x or y.  then Is this POE or adapter powered unit.  If POE check the power injection point and check if changing the port gives the unit power or connectivity.  If power adapter switch out power adapter with the problem unit, and if that changes the result. Following power event the source adapter or POE injector/POE switch can be damaged causing insufficient power to be delivered or in the case of POE one or more wires can short in the run between the injector to the endpoint.  If swapping out the injection point connection doesn't work next would be to plug in the faulty unit at another desk that is working on POE and see if the unit can connect.  If this fails then the issue is within the phone and during the messages shown during boot up a message indicating "x" failed to retrieve which could mean anything from a bricked unit with firmware unable to recover to damage to a internal electronic or connection which is difficult to find without the proper testing equipment.  If the screen never responds with any start up messages/banners then the unit display or backlight at minimum is damaged and other components as well.  This is after doing the prior checks to ensure the issue is not external to the faulty unit.  

Hope this helps, it's what I have done after our lightening event on our building.  We went to having UPS for each area with surge/brownout leveling/supression.  

Thanks for the response. It was not on a UPS, but was behind a surge protector. Everything worked, except ext 1 registering. The phone did not even try to register - nothing at all from a packet capture.

Put the same info on Ext 2 - registers immediately. Guess I just need to insist all phones be on a UPS.

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

On the other two, the factory reset didn't work, but I could register on ext 2, 3, 4

I'm almost sure you just didn't configured ext 1 properly.

All at all, no way to help as you either didn't tried to solve the issue or disclosed no details. Turn on logs and debug and catch them, catch network packets sent&received by phone - then someone may be able to help.

@Dan Lukes wrote:

I'm almost sure you just didn't configured ext 1 properly.

All at all, no way to help as you either didn't tried to solve the issue or disclosed no details. Turn on logs and debug and catch them, catch network packets sent&received by phone - then someone may be able to help.

Ext 1 was properly configured.  Thanks for the condescending response.

I'm almost sure the unit is not permanently damaged and issue can be solved. But decision sovereignty is yours.