cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ADSL with RFC 1483 IRB, BVI disconnect

meijbergj
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cisco 837 router with a RFC 1483 Bridge connection. I have configured a ATM device with a Bridge group (BVI1).

There is a strange thing. I have a connection for an hour and one hour not. And agian a conncetion for an hour and one hou not. It goes on and on.

I receive a ip adres from my provider and i think it has something to do with this. The lease period is 3600 second (one hour).

When i have no conncetion all the interfaces are UP !

Strange ?

Here is some debug output ! Abou 6:16 there is a connection. About 7:16 there is an hour of no connection. At 8:17 there is a connection.

Can anyone help me. Any suggestions ?

John Meijberg

2 Replies 2

meijbergj
Level 1
Level 1

Well, i finally solved this issue.

All i had to do was entering the following commands;

interface BVI1

mac-address 0011.92d6.9886

ip address dhcp

Instead of these:

Interface BVI1

ip address client-ID Ethernet0

If you don't mention the correct mac-address it will apply randomly pick one for you. And this can cause some strange result if it's trying to renew your leased ip address from your ISP.

Also don't create manually the default route (ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 next hop address). Bij using the dhcp function of your ISP it will automatically

I have the same problem, 877 router with 1483 IRB and dutch speedlinq dsl connection is loosing the connection every hour. I did already fix the mac-address. For the ip address I can not use dhcp, because this is a fix ip address and with dhcp the router gets no address.

Any suggestions?