cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect 2.5.2006 Client Fails Installation on Win7 64

markjusko
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco AnyConnect 2.5.2006 failing installation on an upgrade from 2.4.1012. Win7 64-bit.

RunOnce exists in the registry and I even added everyone/full perms to it to make sure it wasn't a perms issue. (it seems everyone recommends checking this key exists)

I've cleaned the system and the registry multiple time for anything AnyConnect related. The installation 'appears' to fail on the installation of the 64-bit virtual adapter:::::

Installation log is attached to this post.

Action 16:10:52: RollbackCleanup. Removing backup files
CustomAction VACon64_Install returned actual error code -536870348 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action VACon64_Install, location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client\VACon64.exe, command: -install "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client\\vpnva64.inf" VPNVA
MSI (s) (44:94) [16:15:05:629]: Product: Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action VACon64_Install, location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client\VACon64.exe, command: -install "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client\\vpnva64.inf" VPNVA

When the installation fails, it always hangs at the "rollback*" progress and pops up a message about a problem with the windows installer.

Any recomendations would be appreciated.. if I don't hear back on this I'm opening an offical ticket with Cisco.

Thanks,

Mark

14 Replies 14

Robert Salazar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mark,

Can you do a quick test and see if this issue is reproducible with anyconnect version 2.5.2011?

There was a bug with failed upgrade which was resolved with the .2011 version.

Thanks,

Rob

Negative results with 2.5.2011.. log attached. Same exit error.

gotcha.I'll take a look at the logs. Are you using the manual or auto install?

I DL'd and ran anyconnect-win-2.5.2011-pre-deploy-k9.msi.

bravotom99
Level 1
Level 1

open a cmd prompt and go to the folder the .msi file is in and try this command

MSIExec /i anyconnect-win-x.x.x-pre-deploy-k9.msi NOINSTALLACTIVEX=1

Change the .msi filename to the correct name.

No dice. I tried it in previous version as well. Log attached.

Did anybody ever get anywhere with this issue? I'm getting what appears to be the same error (at least the same error code). My Cisco AnyConnect client tried to process an automatic update yesterday, which failed and now the program won't run and I can't install or uninstall the program! I've spent a day already working with our company technical support and getting no where. I've been studying the log files, but can't find an answer.

MSI (s) (48:60) [09:26:19:375]: Note: 1: 1722 2: VACon64_Install 3: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client\VACon64.exe 4: -install "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client\\vpnva64.inf" VPNVA

CustomAction VACon64_Install returned actual error code -536870348 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

MSI (s) (48:60) [09:26:19:376]: Product: Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action VACon64_Install, location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client\VACon64.exe, command: -install "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client\\vpnva64.inf" VPNVA

Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action VACon64_Install, location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client\VACon64.exe, command: -install "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client\\vpnva64.inf" VPNVA

BTW, the version of the client that I was running for the past couple of months is 2.5.3054.

From the log files, it looks like the update that failed yesterday tried to create window restore points as it went, but the restore point operations failed with an error code. When the update program failed, it tried to go back to a restore point, but there wasn't once since there was an error when creating the restore point. If I understand this correctly, then maybe the update should have stopped if it could not create a restore point.

There are five of us in our company who have this same issue. There is one person who's client program is working. From the log file, it looks like maybe the update failed (I see an error message that I think indicates this), but it looks like the restore points were created successfully and therefore the rollback worked. I'm pretty much at the end of my rope here.

Nathan

There was no fix on version 2 AnyConnect. If you read through the Cisco docs, they actually recommend imaging the workstation if all else fails.

The "fix" was to upgrade to AnyConnect 3. At my office, it's been smooth sailing every since we upgraded.

I worked on this a bunch today.

A user had uninstalled an old version of the VPN client and was trying to re-install 3.1. They got these same failures, and ended up having to re-image his machine. It is upsetting that so many people have this problem, and yet there seems to be no resolution

MSI Log:

Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action VACon64_Install, location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\VACon64.exe, command: -install "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\\vpnva64.inf" VPNVA

=== Logging stopped: 11/21/2012  10:34:32 ===

I thought to have the user run the command again directly, but I don't know what the VACon64.exe program is. It really doesn't do anything if you run the command on its own, but I observe here that VPNVA matches the name of the service in Windows Services.

I tried to have him do an

sc delete VPNVA to see if you can uninstall it manually.

Noting that it is the vpnva64.inf file I thought to see if that file shows up in his system devices. It did not for him, but the VPN MiniPort Virtual Adapter showed for me since I had mine installed properly. I don't know why i made such an effort to hose my own machine where he couldn't ever get his back up, but I was also never successful at breaking my own.

I did not get to the point where I had him uninstall his network device completely but thinking about it i'd like to have given that a try as well. We tried disabling UAC, and tried installing from an administrator shell. No dice. All errors point back to an inability to install the driver. It made me think maybe his A/V or Application firewall was preventing editing the registry or blocking the file with that name.

Again, in the end, nothing worked, and we re-imaged the machine, so if someone comes up with a resolution, please post.

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Windows Error Reporting

Date:          11/21/2012 8:34:29 AM

Event ID:      1001

Task Category: None

Level:         Information

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      

Description:

Fault bucket 3195564156, type 5

Event Name: PnPDriverInstallError

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: x64

P2: 000005AA

P3: vpnva64.inf

P4: a24e0219a7ed18d12a47d44d9f397c18af740529

P5: Cisco.ndi

P6:

P7:

P8:

P9:

P10:

Attached files:

D:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Temp\DMI898.tmp.log.xml

C:\Windows\inf\oem86.inf

These files may be available here:

D:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\NonCritical_x64_986afd19134817b7c5948e1848a67aea18c4c6f_17e0195a

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: eda16017-33f0-11e2-a541-463500000031

Report Status: 0\

Same problem again, different user. Windows 7 64-bit.

The error was the same:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\VACon64.exe, command: -install "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\\vpnva64.inf" VPNVA

did not finish as expected.

I try to run the command manually, and my device list sorta refreshes, and then refreshes again, but the service ends up not getting installed.

sc delete vpnagent

sc delete VPNVA

These commands were successful, and I tried to reinstall again no luck.

This user was a local administrator and there were some Cisco profile preferences saved in Administrator/AppData/Local/Cisco which I removed, still no luck

I went digging in the vpnva64.inf file and tried to follow in the registry some of the class and GUID information just in case there were some leftover remnants from some other prior installation.  Don't know if it will be relevant or obvious to anyone but the driver is class "Net"

One other thing i noticed is that McAffee agent IPS/Firewall and Antivirus are installed on all the machines that I've worked on. I disable it though, and it still fails, but it is conceivable that it is protecting System services or some other mechanism that is required for the client to install.

My final thought is I seem to remember from somewhere in my windows past that if on 64-bit systems the 32-bit subsystem gets hosed, the system appears to work, but slowly it deteriorates your ability to install stuff properly?

If anybody comes up with a solution to this problem, we get a lot of these, and it is getting tiresome saying to the user "Just Re-Image your OS"

SquareLogics
Level 1
Level 1

I also ran into this issue. I was able to install the software by logging into the workstation under another user admin account. Also later a user windows profile rebuild fixed this as well.

Please check here for more information: http://squarelogics.com/cisco-anyconnect-secure-mobility-client-fails-to-start-install-windows-7-x64/

I hope this helps anyone else that might be looking for a work around or fix.

Yeah, My machine is working much cleaner now that i deleted my 64 GB Profile. Unfortunately, I found out in the process that includes your desktop and all of your Summer Vacation / Newborn Baby Pics. Definately suggest the remedy, just make sure to backup first.          

bradpratt
Level 1
Level 1

Sharing my experience with this in case someone else stumbles across this post with the same problem.

I ran into this same error with a new install of AnyConnect 3.1.00495.  None of the errors in eventviewer were helpful, procmon was surprisingly unhelpful, the first clues started to show up in c:\windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log.  In there it showed the installer getting to the "Index Driver Package" step and failing.  The failures would say "Failed to register driver store entry" and I think "Failed to publish driver store entry".  Each step under that failed, and the rest of the log failed everything it tried after that.  After a lot of research, I found myself looking in c:\windows\system32\driverstore\ at the *.dat files in there, pretty sure that was the problem.  None of the security permissions fixes helped (procmon showed no access denied on them also).

The problem: infstore.dat was 2gb in size (mine is 140k).  The vast majority of that was blank lines, so after I finally got rid of those I was able to open it in notepad.  It was a bunch of garbled characters (moreso than a normal infstore.dat) and referenced AVG and AVG toolbar a lot where it was legible.  My guess is that maybe AVG encrypts this file as part of its realtime security?  So malware can't mess with your drivers maybe.  In any case, they didn't have AVG installed anymore, it was long gone.  Since AVG was gone and there was no usable info in there, I tried renaming the file.  The install worked fine and a new driver store was generated.  I'm not sure of the long term consequences of what I did, but the user was able to restart and still use their printer/scanner/etc so I'm hopeful that it didn't mess up any other drivers.  I think it's a safe bet since the 2gb original was unusable anyway.

This fix isn't for every situation, don't try it just because you have the same error.  Just posting to maybe give someone an idea of what to troubleshoot.