cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect Client (3.1.02040) - Windows 8 won't shut down

cpremo
Level 1
Level 1

I've noticed and issue with Windows 8 and AnyConnect Client version 3.1.02040.  I've tried various things to try to resolve this issue but have hit a brick wall.  Whenever, I run AnyConnect on my Windows 8 PC and then shut it down for the day, the PC won't turn off.  I've ensured my AnyConnect client is disconnected and then quit the application and even killed the VPN service.

Has anyone else seen this issue???   Any resolution???

72 Replies 72

@juergen  I found that the bug only presents itself when I use my erthernet connection.  If I use WiFi (with the driver from microsoft) i don't have the problem.   You might want to try a different connection or driver until Cisco comes up with a fix.

From what I was told, an internal QA group found a problem which held up the release.  (I believe they were expecting it to be released a week or two ago.)

Hopefully it's released within the next few weeks.  (As noted previously, I can confirm that the latest version will fix the issue, however Cisco needs to publically release it.)

Found the issue and the answer!  Got an Intel 82579?  The issue is your driver... Install this:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21642〈=eng&OSVersion=Windows%208*&DownloadType=

Worked like a champ for me and now my vpn and computer work like a CHAMP!  Shutdown and Sleep!  It is NOT a Cisco issue at all... Rather a driver issue...

You're Welcome,

Ben Compton

aka BC5K

Benjamin Compton schrieb:

Found the issue and the answer!  Got an Intel 82579?  The issue is your driver... Install this:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21642〈=eng&OSVersion=Windows%208*&DownloadType=

Worked like a champ for me and now my vpn and computer work like a CHAMP!  Shutdown and Sleep!  It is NOT a Cisco issue at all... Rather a driver issue...

You're Welcome,

Ben Compton

aka BC5K

What are you talking about?? Have you read the thread??

Cisco already explained that it IS an issue with their software. and they have a working fix yet!

now they're waiting for release...

BTW: I've got a broadcom bmc57780 ethernet controller and i've got that issue too...

Ben,

The problem is indeed a Cisco issue, however what you have found is Intel reacting to the problem and fixing the hitch in their driver to obfuscate the problem.

(I have a laptop with the mentioned Intel NIC and a desktop with a Broadcom NIC and both have the same issue.)

As mentioned, Cisco _DOES_ have a fixed AnyConnect version (I have it), however it's not publically released yet.  (I was asked not to share the release, nor any of the versioning numbers so I cannot provide any additional information at this time.)

They were about to release it a few weeks ago, however found a problem and held the release.  I'm hoping that the fix is publically released for you all soon!

mjohnson
Level 1
Level 1

I tried the updated driver and it does not fix the issue, this is not an issue with intel 82579 only.

Dan Coats
Level 1
Level 1

Release 3.1.04059 is out today!

The question is whether the issue is fixed in that version...

I was told that this may be the case last week, however I didn't want to get anyone's hopes up as I did in the past.

It's best if you uninstall the current version, reboot, and then re-install.  (The in-place upgrade may work, however it's not recommended.)

Thanks and happy VPN'ing!

Drew

I have an early version (still in the 3.1.040xx range), and it fixed it across the board as mentioned previously.  (I haven't tested 4059, however I would imagine that it should!)

mjohnson
Level 1
Level 1

running the new 3.1.04x version and everything is working, also running the new intel driver not sure if it matters.

Looks like the new version (3.1.04059) fixes the issue.  I was able to log in to my VPN and reboot my PC with no problem.  Thank for all the work and sticking to the problem until resolved.  This is the way it is supposed to work.

Thanks to all.

It fixed it for me but...

1. Now my local Tomcat instance when I run my site locally from Eclipse won't fully startup.  If I shut down all the cisco services (there are like 7 of them) this problem goes away.  This is even before I connect to my VPN after a clean windows startup.
  2. Skype freaks out when I connect and disconnect to the VPN.

*sigh*

UPDATE:

The tomcat issue ended up being one of the extra services in the new client setup.  I wasn't sure what I needed so I installed everything at first.  I uninstalled and just reinstalled the VPN client only and things are working with tomcat.  I'm not sure which one was causing this issue.

The Skype issue is still there though.  When I disconnect from the vpn client, I have to restart Skype.