Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect headend with two DNS entry

mazin D
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

in my AnyConnect VPN setup , the headend ASA firewall is behind Fortigate Firewall, Fortigate is connected to the Internet via 2 ISPs lines. There are two public IP addresses in the Fortigate (one from each ISP) pointing back to the outside interface of the ASA (VIPs). the ASA FQDN has two DNS entries (the 2 public IP addresses) . we are using the FQDN in the server list in the AnyConnect profile. the AnyConnect is working fine but when i shut the port in the Fortigate that connected to ISP1 to force the Anyconnect to use the second IP address , the connection is failing, checking the DART, the DNS entry always the first ISP IP address only. Any ideas on how to make the AnyConnect to use both publics IP addresses. ? by the way , I have site to site VPN to the same outside interface in the ASA and I can use either of the IPs to establish the tunnel. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I am not entirely sure what you've configured, but you'd need to configure 2 FQDNs, with a unique certificate (or wildcard).

int-fw.example.co.uk - 31.1.10.12

int-fw-backup.example.co.uk - 31.1.150.4

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

@mazin D 

You have defined the second FQDN defined as a backup server under the anyconnect configuration? Or a separate server list entry?

Thanks Rob for your reply,

the FQDN is the same but with 2 IP addresses, for example :

int-fw.example.co.uk    31.1.10.12

so when you do nslookup , you will get 2 IP addresses for the same FQDN

Ok, so it's one FQDN with two IP addresses defined. The client computer has probably cached the first IP address. DNS resolution would be independant of the actual ISP/ASA interface being reachable.

You should instead define 2 FQDNs, resolving to different IP addresses. Define the second as a backup server.

Example using the AnyConnect Profile Editor:-

vpn.PNG

Sorry Rob for the delay getting back to you , i was testing the solution.

i have added the backup server, the AnyConnect still failing to establish the tunnel to the backup server. we are using certificate for authentication, checking the DART , i can see that it is complaining about the server name is not the subject name :

certificate name verification has failed

server Name:

int-fw-backup.example.co.uk

subject alternate name(s)

int-fw.example.co.uk

any ideas ?

I am not entirely sure what you've configured, but you'd need to configure 2 FQDNs, with a unique certificate (or wildcard).

int-fw.example.co.uk - 31.1.10.12

int-fw-backup.example.co.uk - 31.1.150.4

thanks Rob , that solve the issue 

Dinesh Moudgil
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

On a similar note and adding to what Rob shared, round robin DNS support for Anyconnect is still an enhancement.

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvo47577

Backup server configuration should work in this case.

Thanks,

Dinesh Moudgil

Cisco Network Security Channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/CiscoNetSec/